|| Chapter 39 ||

And indeed, there stood Jin, Namjoon, Hoseok and Taehyung.

"Namjoon-hyung is right, you should probably sit down." The latter recommended.

"I'm fine. But Hoseok why are you here? Weren't you back at the apartment with the others? Where's Jungkook?" Yoongi asked.

"I don't know, probably still at home? I saw the fire and I had a bad feeling, so I left and came to see what was going on. How about Hyunjin and-"

"Those guys are perfectly capable of handling themselves, they're fine. But we should go, now, I just...I don't know. I need to see Jungkook." His head still pounded.

"Oh, how rich of you to act like you care about him now. Five minutes ago you were willing to put this revolution before his safety. So what changed?" Jin argued.

Namjoon quietly sighed; seeing the expression on Taehyung's face he knew what was coming.

"What is wrong with you? Just because we want to help out other people doesn't mean Jungkook means nothing to us." The deep voiced boy retorted.

"Then if you're so worried about him, why aren't you with him? Running off now that you're bored of responsibility?"

This time Hoseok spoke up, voice stern. "Jin-hyung, you're not the only one who risked everything getting that boy out of Omelas. Every single one of us did."

"Yeah? And look how that turned out." He made icy eye contact with Yoongi. "It's too late to care now."

"Hyung." Namjoon stated. "Stop."

The voices got louder, the argument grew more serious by the second. Yoongi could still barely stand, off balance and trying to think of something to say. He clutched his head in pain.

"SHUT UP!"

A shrill voice came, dominating over the others.

Everyone looked over.

Yoongi looked up.

"Do we have nothing better to be doing than arguing right now!?" Jimin asked. "You're acting like children. It's ironic how you can argue about who does and doesn't care about Jungkook when all of you are more concerned with arguing than looking after him. So everybody just stop arguing for five minutes, and let's go check on him."

There was brief silence before Namjoon spoke up. "You're right." He looked over at Jin, who was gritting his teeth.

"...yeah. Let's go then." He agreed.

They walked across the town in near silence, apart from their muted footsteps. They had no choice, they were stuck inside their own heads to think about their actions. And they all realised how stupid this entire argument was.

Jimin really was right. How had they got so caught up with their ridiculous arguments that they forgot the reason they were here in the first place? Guilt washed over each of them in some way or another.

"Now that you've all calmed down, I think it's time for everyone to apologise and drop this so we can move on." Jimin asserted.

"....I'm sorry."

Everyone was surprised that it was Jin to speak up first. But shortly afterwards, one by one, each of them followed suit.

Jimin finally released the tension in his muscles and let out a sigh, before smiling. "Good."

But suddenly he grinded to a halt, squinting.

"Is that Jinjin?"

They all looked and, indeed, it was. Why was he running towards them, and at this time of the morning?

"Guys," he called, exasperated from the journey, "you have to do something!"

"Why? What's going on?" Jimin asked.

"It's Jungkook." All of their hearts sank. "He came to me, asking about his past. I told him everything I knew. And he's...he's going to give himself in. To the government."

"What?!" Namjoon yelled. Each of them was in shock.

"Why? Why would he do that?" Jimin asked.

Yoongi's mind was blank. He was barely even listening as Jinjin told them all about Jungkook, his origins and his story. But he didn't need to listen.

Because he already knew.

Somewhere deep in his mind, he already knew this information. He was remembering more and more, before Jinjin even told them.

But why?

There was no real time to dwell, all of them were running now. They didn't know where exactly he would go to hand himself in but they had some ideas.

"Yoongi," Hoseok asked in concern, "are you okay?"

He took a moment. "Yeah, it's just...have you thought about why Jungkook is handing himself in?"

"Of course. As Jinjin said, he was sent to Omelas to keep peace between the cities. He's doing it again now so that all of this can be put to rest."

"But that's not the whole reason."

"Then what is?"

Yoongi sighed. "It's for us. He wants to give himself in so that we don't have to keep breaking the law by hiding him. If we weren't so caught up in our stupid argument and trying to be involved in this revolution, maybe we would've realised."

Hoseok frowned. "It's not your fault. We were all really stupid but...the least we can do is look after him now. I'm going to the police station, good luck." He patted Yoongi's shoulder and parted.

One by one the boys split up to look for him. Yoongi walked swiftly through the morning streets, the rising sun providing more ominous feelings than positive ones. Where would Jungkook go?

He recalled there being a fountain in the square near the town hall. And there was a park nearby too. His instincts told him to head there.

All the vague memories flooding back with each step produced even more pain. He couldn't care less about that though, all that was in his mind right now was finding Jungkook.

Finally, he arrived. After sprinting to the fountain, he took a breather, hunching over and looking around.

The orangey glow of sunrise fell onto the quartz steps before the town hall. Before his eyes, he saw a young figure stood still on them.

The boy had heard the approaching footsteps, but hadn't yet turned to see who it was. His head fell downwards ever so slightly as he continued up the steps. Yoongi called out to him.

"Jungkook! Stop!"

A/N they've finally decided to shut schools bless up. Please stay safe everyone 💜

So we're nearing the end...I'll probably try and release all of the final chapters in closer succession because I don't want to have to continue with the cliffhangers and waiting two weeks, I personally hate having to wait a week or more for new episodes of stuff and I'm sure you do too