|| Chapter 3 ||

The silence was deafening in the small space. Jimin, who was hugging his knees loosely on the seat as he glanced around in concern, was the first to speak up.

"Who was that boy?" He asked, the fragility of his voice like glass.

Namjoon's grape coloured hair met with his hands as he thrust his head downwards into them. "I-i don't know Jimin..." he muttered, barely audible.

All eyes were on him sympathetically. Namjoon was the son of the mayor who they had all known for most of their lives - and not even he was aware of what was happening.

As the son of Mayor Kim, he was expected to take his place as the leader of the town when the time came. But how could he take on such a big responsibility when he couldn't even understand what he had just witnessed?

The thoughts swirled in his head, causing him to let out a shaky sigh. Taehyung sunk back in his seat, soft caramel eyes fixated on the ground.

"He looked at me."

The words spilled from his mouth on their own, his thoughts mingling with his words.

"The boy...he was scared. What did they do to him?" He slowly questioned, fiddling with his sleeves.

The black and navy haired boy leaned forward and parted his lips, intending to say something encouraging or uplifting. But how could he in this situation? Giving his lip a harsh bite, he lifted his gaze to the reflection in the train window. He could hardly believe how lifeless he looked.

"Listen guys. I don't...I don't understand any of what is happening here," he began, catching everyone's attention, "but one thing I know is...this isn't right. Whatever happened to that boy, it isn't right. I want answers. Even if I can just slightly calm this feeling..." he paused, gripping the jacket above his heart, "I can accept it."

The candyfloss haired boy swung his legs back and forth slightly. "I think you're right, Yoongi-hyung. I want to know what's happening too." Gaze shifting to the ground, his vulnerabilities fell straight from his mouth.

"I'm scared." He admitted, leaning his head against the wall.

The eldest sat up straight and nodded. "I think we need to find out what's happening. But how can we? I doubt Mayor Kim will give us a straightforward answer."

Namjoon finally sat up and began to speak. "My father always told me that there was something that everyone found out once they became mature enough. He told me that that truth would reveal who they are. If they accepted it, they were strong. If they didn't accept it, they were weak. I assume this is what he was talking about..." he explained.

"Well weak or not, I can't accept that everyone we've ever met, talked to, joked with, is okay with this...." Hoseok announced. "I can't."

Everyone else nodded in unison. Just then, the train came to a halt, prompting the boys to exit, jumping from the steps to the snow-laden ground one by one, before wandering inside their shelter.

After everyone had collapsed into their seats, Yoongi began to speak.

"It looks like we all agree that something needs to be done. Namjoon, do you know if your father keeps any documents in the town hall? About the citizens or the history or anything?"

The purple-haired boy nodded. "The majority of the files are in the library. We could check them, but if they're for the public to read then I doubt they'll have any useful information. There's a back room where he keeps all the classified files. Maybe I could sneak the key from his bedroom...." he muttered, placing a hand on his chin.

"This is pretty risky. What if we get caught? I heard that a man got arrested and later executed for peeking at the town archives...is this...really the best thing to do?" Hoseok thoughtfully pondered outloud.

"Something tells me that this isn't right. The fact that the whole town is sworn to secrecy like this is weird. The fact that...The people of my town were made to accept this...I can't deal with it. This pounding in my chest won't stop..." Namjoon expressed, closing his eyes, as the sensation of his heart thumping against his chest became overwhelming. "And it won't stop until I find out what's happening. I don't care if i have to die. As long as that boy is in this town, he is a citizen of Omelas. And as long as I am the heir to this town, he's under my care. I have to do it."

Jin stood up with his hands in his pockets, walking over to the leader. "As long as you're okay with it, then we're right here with you." He affirmed, clasping Namjoon's hand and squeezing it. "If you're ready to offer up everything you have then we are to. We need to come up with a thorough plan. Are you guys ready?" The eldest asked, glancing around at the confident smiles in the room.

"Okay. Let's do this."