Ent. Malcolm Reed - "I'm broken."

A/N: Gender-neutral, asexual reader. This can be read as either platonic or as a budding romance imagine

When you didn't answer your doorbell, Malcolm grew worried. He hadn't seen you all day except briefly in the hallway earlier when you looked to be upset about something. When he had asked you about it, you'd brushed it off and said you were just stressed about work. He didn't believe you, though, hence why he was checking in on you after his shift was done.

"Y/N?" he asked. "Are you all right?"

You gave him no response, and he sighed. "Y/N? Please open the door."

A moment passed, then the door opened before him and revealed you standing there, tears rolling down your cheeks.

"What's wrong?" he asked instantly with a frown.

You shuffled back into your room and sat down on your bed. "I'm broken."

Malcolm crouched down in front of you, brows knit together tightly. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm broken, Malcolm," you repeated, sniffling.

"Why?" he asked and took your hands in his. "Why do you think you're broken?"

You avoided eye contact and shrugged meekly. "I don't feel sexual attraction."

"You mean you're not attracted to anyone onboard?" he asked, trying his best to understand.

You shook your head. "No, I mean I don't experience any sexual attraction to anyone. I never have, but I thought it was just due to me being so reserved and shy, and because I hadn't been in a serious relationship. But now... the idea of sex just doesn't interest me. At all. Some days it even repulses me. I mean, who feels that way?"

Malcolm's face softened and he gently rubbed his thumb over your knuckles. "Y/N, you're not broken. Sexuality is a large spectrum, and just because you feel like your sexuality doesn't align with what some think of as normal, doesn't mean you're broken."

You huffed out a humourless laugh. "But sex is one of the most basic behaviours in the animal kingdom. What's wrong with me that I don't want it?"

"Nothing is wrong with you. Just because it's basic doesn't mean everyone has to want it or like it," he said softly. "Hunting for prey is a pretty basic experience in the animal kingdom, too, but that doesn't mean every member of every species partakes in that experience, right?"

You wiped your wet cheek and shrugged again. "Even so, who could love someone like me?"

"Hey, don't say that," Malcolm chastised gently. "There's more to love than sex, Y/N. Not all relationships have to be filled with it. Relationships are about mutual respect, and support, and shared interests, and unwavering love."

"I guess," you mumbled. What he was saying made sense, but you still felt pretty lousy.

"I used to think I was broken because I couldn't fully connect to anyone," Malcolm admitted. "Then I came onto the Enterprise and I met people that I really clicked with. You'll meet your person, Y/N. You just have to be patient and try to be gentle on yourself."

You managed a small smile. "Thanks, Malcolm. Who knows, maybe they're even on board."

"Maybe," he agreed, pressing a soft kiss to your knuckles.