DS9. Benjamin Sisko - "How do you cope?"

"Y/N talk to me," Ben said quietly, crouching down in front of your hunched form on the couch. He took your hands in his. "What's wrong?"

You stared at your lap. "My cousin... he was killed in combat." Even saying the words, it didn't feel real. You couldn't wrap your head around it. One moment he was fine, the next he was just gone. You'd gotten the call from your aunt a few hours before the official list of the deceased got released.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Ben murmured, kissing your knuckles. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

With a simple shrug you asked, "How do you cope?" Your brows furrowed together, and you felt your eyes welling with tears. "After someone you love is taken from you... so violently and unexpectedly."

"It's hard. You're probably feeling a bit disconnected right now. Like this is all a bad dream. That haze will pass."

"I wish it was a dream."

Ben moved to sit next to you. He wrapped his arms around you and pulled your body towards his chest. "I know. You just have to keep moving forward. It will get better. I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but I promise you that it will."

You took in a deep breath and nodded.

"I'm here for you, Y/N," he continued. "You're not alone, all right? I'm going to help you through this."

"Thank you," you said quietly.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Can you just hold me for a while? I don't want to be alone right now."

Ben rubbed your back gently and kissed the top of your head. "Of course. I'll stay as long as you want."