TNG. Data - "You must breathe."

A/N: area_c-137 requested this. The reader has a panic attack in this - please don't read if that will upset you or trigger you in any way!

Your breathing was shallow and quick, making your head spin from lack of oxygen. Your chest felt like it was being crushed by a shuttlepod, which wasn't helping your difficulty breathing. Tears rolled down your cheeks and you wiped them off with shaking hands. You didn't remember what had triggered this attack, only that it happened. One minute you were fine, reading on your couch. The next, utter panic started to take over you and you felt your mind slowly lose control of your body.

You wanted it to stop. Hell, you'd do anything to make it stop. You tried to remember the breathing techniques that Doctor Crusher had told you about, but with your fuzzy mind it was hard to remember much.

"Y/N," a voice said, sounding distance to your ringing ears.

You squeezed your eyes shut and gripped at your hair.

"Y/N, you must breathe," the voice said, sounding closer now.

You shook your head and gasped for breath.

"You must breathe slowly. You are going to hyperventilate and pass out."

You forced your eyes open and saw a pale-skinned figure in front of you with a yellow uniform on. Through your tears and blurred vision, you couldn't make out who it was.

"Try to listen to my voice," the person said, and you recognized it.

"Data?" you choked out.

"I am here, Y/N," he replied. He gently took your hands in his and pulled them away from your head. "Please try to breathe slowly. In for five seconds, hold, and out for five seconds. Can you attempt that?"

You nodded, and as you breathed in Data started to count aloud. He only made it to three before you were exhaling sharply.

"Again," he instructed.

You started to inhale and again, Data began to count. This time you made it to four seconds and were able to hold it for a brief moment before exhaling, slower than you had before.

"You were doing well," Data said. "Continue."

The two of you did this until your breathing was regulated and your head was no longer spinning. It felt heavy, though, and you leaned your forehead against Data's chest. "I'm sorry," you mumbled.

"Why are you apologizing?" he asked, wrapping his arms around you. "You were experiencing a panic attack, something you cannot control. You need not be sorry."

You nodded slightly. "Thank you for helping me."

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I'm okay," you replied. "Thank you."

"I am pleased you are feeling better," he said. "I was on my way to Ten Forward and thought you might wish to join me. When you did not answer, I had the computer locate you and found you here."

"Well, thank God you did that. I don't know how long it would have taken me to calm down if you hadn't shown up."

Data tilted his head. "God had nothing to do with my being here."

You cracked a small smile. "It's an expression, Data."

"Ah. I see. Well, thank God you are all right."

You looked up at him, your smile widening slightly. "Thank you."

He nodded curtly. "Is there some activity you wish to do?"

You bit your lip slightly. "Could we just stay here and cuddle for a while? I... I need to be held."

"That would be acceptable," Data replied. "Couch or bed?"

"Bed," you said.

Data led you to your bed and pulled the covers back. The two of you climbed in and he lay on his back. You curled up next to him, resting your head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around you and held you close.

"Would you like to speak or remain silent?" he asked.

"Can you tell me about your day?" you requested. "It'll help me relax."

As Data recalled the exact events of his day, you snuggled into his chest and sighed. You focused on his voice, the sound of it bringing peace to your thoughts.