AOS/TOS. Leonard "Bones" McCoy - Dance Practice

A/N: jesterofsorts requested this

"I still don't understand why we have to practice dancing," Leonard grumbled, sitting on your couch with his arms folded across his chest.

You laughed at his pouting. "Because Starfleet is holding a dinner party in our honour and there'll be dancing there. We need to make a good impression."

He rolled his eyes and huffed. "Yeah, 'cause nothing says Starfleet's finest like a bunch of officers stepping on each other's toes."

You shook your head slowly, smiling at him. "Come on, it can't be that bad. You must know some dancing."

Leonard sighed and pushed himself off the couch. "Yeah, my ex-wife made me take lessons before our wedding. Not that it did me much good. I was a half-drunk nervous wreck trying to dance with her in front of everyone."

You giggled softly. "I would have loved to see that."

He gave you a look. "Trust me, you really wouldn't have."

"I'm sure you weren't that bad," you said gently.

He raised an eyebrow. "Wanna bet?"

You smiled and shook your head.

"What about you? You ever danced before?" he asked.

"Not unless you count drunk dance moves in the club."

Leonard smirked. "I doubt that's what Starfleet had in mind."

You laughed. "No, probably not. So, what do you say you teach me?"

"Don't have much of a choice, do I?"

"Of course you have a choice," you said. "But just know that if you don't teach me I may make a fool of myself at the event."

He sighed at the fake sad eyes you were giving him. "Fine. But if you tell Jim about this, I'll diagnose you with some disease that'll make you be quarantined for a month."

You laughed. "You wouldn't do that."

"No?"

You shook your head. "You'd miss me too much. Besides Jim, I'm your only friend."

Leonard rolled his eyes. "All right, let's just get this over with. I'll teach you how to waltz."

You smiled. "Computer, play audio recording Y/N-7."

A slow, classical song came on.

Leonard looked you over slowly. "You'll want to keep your feet hip's-width. And keep your back straight."

You adjusted your posture to his specifications. "Now what?"

"Now, put one hand on my shoulder." He stood in front of you.

You met his gaze as you placed your hand onto his shoulder lightly.

"Right," he said after a moment of silence. "I'm going to put my hand on your waist."

You nodded and a moment later you felt his hand rest just above your hip. He held his free hand up and out to the side.

"Now," he said, "take my hand."

You placed your hand into his and were surprised to feel how soft his skin was.

"I'll lead, but essentially we're going around in a square. You're going to step forward with your left foot, forward and right with our right, right with our left, back with our right, and back and left with our left."

"Oh, is that all?" you asked teasingly.

"It's easier to do it than explain," Leonard replied. "You might want to watch my feet until you get the hang of it."

You nodded and looked down.

Leonard began to slowly move in the sequence he just told you, and you did your best to follow along. He softly mumbled the steps as you two moved, and he made sure to go at a slow and steady pace.

"How am I doing?" you asked, glancing up at him for a moment before quickly looking back down at your feet to make sure you didn't step on his toes.

"Not bad for your first try," he said, watching your brow furrow in concentration. He smiled softly, admiring how beautiful you looked.

"You really think so?" you asked, looking up at him again.

Leonard nodded slowly, eyes fixed on yours. "A little rigid maybe, but you're getting the steps down. It takes a bit of practice to get the flow right."

You smiled. "I guess I have a good teacher."

You were suddenly hyperaware of how close you and Leonard had gotten. Your chests were nearly pressed together, and you could feel his breath fanning your face. Your cheeks began to flush and the two of you stopped dancing.

"Y/N," Leonard said softly, almost hesitantly.

You raised an eyebrow in question.

He bit his lip, then said, "Would you... if you don't already have one... be my date for the event?"

A wide smile spread across your face. You nodded. "I'd love that."

Star Trek Imagines (Reader-Inserts) Part Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें