TNG. Data - Teacher

Data watched with intrigue as you finished wrapping up your lesson to the younger group of kids on board the Enterprise. Along with a few others, you were one of the main teachers on board. Data was always fascinated at how you interacted with the kids. How you treated them with such care and compassion. How you taught them subjects that to Data were like common sense.

After you dismissed the class and the kids had left with their parents, Data entered your classroom. "Would you like assistance cleaning up?"

You looked up at him with a smile. "If you want, that would be great. As you can see, we were doing some crafts." You waved a hand at the scattered supplies.

"I noticed that many of the objects the children created were... crude."

You laughed, gathering markers. "Well yeah, they're kids, Data. They don't have your ability to be precise and exact. Especially when they're making buildings out of popsicle sticks and cardboard."

Data collected the scraps of paper and placed them neatly into your bin of other scrap paper. "You praised them all as though they had accomplished a great feat. Why?"

"Well, because they need encouragement at that age. They need to know that we like their art. It builds their confidence. Besides, who doesn't like a little praise every now and then?"

Data tilted his head as he thought of that. He nodded after a moment. "I see. So by telling them you like their crude piece of art at a young age, it will help them build more confidence later in life."

You smiled. "Pretty much, yeah."

He nodded again. "Y/N, you are a very competent teacher. The children appear to enjoy your class. Good job." He awkwardly patted your shoulder.

You laughed. "Thanks, Data."

"Did I succeed in praising you?"

You laughed again, shaking your head with affection. "Yeah, Data, you did great."