1.4

The group didn't really know what to do

The group didn't really know what to do. They had thought when they left Terminus that they were as safe as possible again and could find somewhere else to go but Daryl, Carol and Bob had disappeared and nobody knew where they had gone. Bob was a mystery but everybody believed that Daryl and Carol had just left together for an unknown reason which of course brought up all of Katy's feeling of insecurity. She felt abandoned.

"There's someone outside. Lying in the grass."

As soon as those words were uttered everybody ran outside to see who was there -- Bob with one of his legs missing. Everybody was shocked and didn't know what to do apart from bring him into the church and hope he had enough life in him to talk. Even Katy who had never really like the man too much felt an abundance of sadness and sympathy for him.

"What happened?"

"I woke up outside this place that looked like a school. It was that guy Gareth and his people. They were eating my leg right in front of me. Like it was nothin'. All proud." He told them.

"Did they have Daryl and Carol?" Rick asked with concern.

"Gareth said they drove off."

Katy sniffled loudly at the information and made her way through the doors to the outside steps of the church quickly. She was distraught. Daryl and Carol had both made promises to her and then broke them easily, even though she knew in the back of her mind that they probably had a good reason to leave she couldn't think of a reasonable one to calm down her thoughts.

"Shouldn't you be looking after Judith or something?" She asked Carl as he sat down next to her, he looked up to the woman and didn't like seeing her as sad as she had been since Terminus.

"They're arguing with Abraham, shouldn't you be kicking his ass?"

Katy couldn't help but laugh. "What are they arguing about?"

"Bob's been bit and he isn't gonna make it." Carl looked at the ground. "Abraham wants to leave for Washington now but dad wants to wait for Daryl and Carol."

"They left us." The woman shrugged.

"They wouldn't leave us unless they had to."

"They did."

"He wouldn't leave you."

"But he did." She shrugged again. "Sometimes people do that."

"I know. My mum got with my dads best friend and she loved him. Daryl hasn't done that, he only wants you. He'll be back."

"I can't wait to kill them." Katy muttered thinking about Gareth and his people.

"That's not who you are." Glenn scolded her slightly.

"They told me that I deserved what happened and then they ate Bob." She said firmly. "They don't deserve to live."

"Katy, come here." Rick gestured for his friend to follow him to an empty corner of the church. "When we go to find Gareth, I don't think you should come."

"I have to."

"Your emotions are gonna put you in danger." He put his hands on her shoulders in concern.

"Do you not have emotions, Rick?"

He sighed. "You've been through a lot lately and I know you're upset."

"I'm sick of everybody treating me like I can't-do anything!" She said loudly. "Shit happened but I'm not weak."

Most of the group had gone to find Gareth and the people from Terminus leaving Katy, Carl and Judith in one room while Gabriel stayed with Rosita, Eugene, Tyreese and Bob in another part of the church.

"I can't believe that Rick didn't let me go." Katy muttered.

"Now you know how I feel." Carl sighed.

Katy bent down to pick up Judith who was crawling along the floor happily, the woman pulled a funny face at the baby making her giggle cutely.

"You and your brother are my favourite people right now. Do you love me too?" Katy automatically adopted a baby voice. Judith squealed to her happily. "I'll take that as a ye-"

The brunette cut herself off as she heard a noise from outside; Carl shared her concerned look -- it sounded like the door and footsteps. Somebody entered the church and as everybody who resided in the building prayed that it was their group they stayed silent.

"You know we're here and we know you're here." Gareth's voice was recognisable and clear. "We're armed so there's no point in you hiding. We've been watching you and we know who's here."

Everybody apart from him stayed completely silent.

"Rick and the rest walked out with your guns. We don't know where you all are but this isn't a big place. Stop this before things get more painful than they need to be. You're behind one of these two doors and we have more than enough firepower to take down both."

Katy and Carl shared an anxious look.

"How about the priest? Open the door and you can go, take the baby with you." Carl's eyes widened at the mention of his baby sister and he held out his arms to take her from Katy. "What do you say?"

It was then that Judith started to cry.

Carl turned frantic, trying to shush the child and calm her but it was too late. Katy took out her gun and pointed it firmly towards the door, she wasn't about to let anybody harm the youths behind her without a fight.

"I'm starting to like this girl. That's your last chance to tell us you're coming out."

"You stay here." Katy whispered to Carl before opening the door only slightly and stepping out still holding her gun to the strangers that littered the church floor. "Get out."

Gareth smirked at the sight of the girl and raised his own weapon, his group following. Katy clenched her eyes closed and held up her gun higher with the finger on the trigger.

Rick's voice suddenly rang out through the walls and the group began to fire at their enemies. Katy lunged forwards grabbing one of the men who had escaped the round of shots and she threw him to the ground, using her gun to hit his head violently over and over again. It felt wrong, the amount of aggression that was in her as she hit the man but she could only see and feel the people that had hurt her.

Rick saw the girl stomping on the dead body and recognised the signs of her struggling mental state, he knew what it was like to be so lost in your own hurt. He took large steps and pulled her away from the man and into his own chest, wrapping his arms around her as she began to cry.

"That's not who you are." Rick told her as he stroked her hair.

"It's not who I want to be."

• Edited •