2.7

Katy sat up quickly with sweat pouring off her and heavy breaths

Katy sat up quickly with sweat pouring off her and heavy breaths. She had replayed Noah's death in her sleep, a recurring nightmare. Daryl who barely slept anyway pulled her into his chest quickly and calmed her down but she just felt uneasy. She jumped out of the bed and away from him, pulling on a pair of jeans with the shirt she was already wearing (that belonged to Daryl) and walked down the stairs. 

In the kitchen, Glenn and Rick were talking quietly. "Glenn was just telling me what happened."

Katy looked at Rick with a small nod. "I don't really wanna talk about it."

"Nicholas is saying that it was our fault." Glenn told her.

"We wouldn't lie about it." She said immediately defensive, her voice reeked of emotion. "It should have been Nicholas."

"You don't mean that." Rick shook his head.

"You didn't see what happened."

"We've been banned from the armoury and from leaving the safe zone." Glenn said as Carol walked in casually.

"I left a note and a tuna pasta bake on Deanna's doorstep." She announced.

"Her son's just died." Katy snapped. "Why would she want a shitty tuna dish?"

"I've lost a child, Katy." Carol spoke in a patronising voice. "She won't want to be smothered."

Katy recoiled. She found Carol's words really condescending and couldn't help but yell before she stormed out of the house. "Don't you dare speak to me like that. I've fucking lost a kid too."

Katy had went for a walk in the woods to calm herself down and just relax -- she always seemed to go to places full of nature when she was slightly upset. Everybody seemed to be busy that day and without the group the community felt fairy empty. They all seemed confined within the walls of Alexandria. Walking back to her house, Katy noticed Deanna sitting on a bench alone.

"Deanna."

"Katy." The woman acknowledged. "Please don't tell me that you're sorry for my loss." 

"I won't." She said bluntly and then stumbled back over her words. "I mean, I am sorry but I won't say it."

"Thankyou."

"I've had a miscarriage before. It wasn't the same as this and you don't wanna talk about it but I kind of get it." She sat down on the bench next to the woman.

"It's terrible losing a child." Deanna's eyes softened. "Was it with Daryl?"

"No. I'm not gonna pretend I felt nearly as bad as you do."

"How can you say that?" Deanna gasped.

"I'd been raped by these men." She said truthfully. "I didn't want a reminder of it."

"What did you want to tell me?" Deanna asked.

Katy turned to look her straight in the eye. "It was Nicholas that caused everything. He's lying."

Before Deanna could reply, Rick stalked over angrily to the pair. "I need to speak to you about Pete and Jessie!"

The next things that Rick said shocked Katy. She had stupidly not thought that domestic issues could really happen in Alexandria or she hadn't really thought about it. Rick had an urge to protect the woman from her abusive husband but Katy didn't want him to get himself in trouble over it. Deanna wouldn't listen to Rick and eventually left to go back to her house.

"You care about her?" Katy asked Rick.

"A lot."

"If she wasn't married would you feel the same?"

"Yeah."

"Has anything happened?"

"We kissed."

"Then you can't let her stay with him. If he finds out about the two of you, he'll kill her."

"Deanna won't listen."

"Maybe you need to save her." 

• Edited •