3.6

Daryl knelt down on the floor in front of the motorbike that he had just gotten back; his wife was asleep in the house and he was glad that she was resting because along with Carol and Maggie she had been acting strangely since her kidnap and woul...

Daryl knelt down on the floor in front of the motorbike that he had just gotten back; his wife was asleep in the house and he was glad that she was resting because along with Carol and Maggie she had been acting strangely since her kidnap and wouldn't say anything about it. 

"Didn't even notice." Carols voice rang out as she sat down on the porch. "You got your bike back."

He nodded and took notice of the cigarette in her hand. "You got another one of those?"

"Should you be smoking if Katy can't?" She joked with a small smile as she passed it over to him.

"I don't even know if she ever has."

"Definitely." She decided. "She was a trouble maker in her school days, you can tell."

He chuckled. "I can see that." Putting the cigarette into his mouth, he lit it casually.

"Those people you met in the forest." She asked looking at the bike. "They took it from you?"

"Yeah."

"You saved them right?"

At the question, Daryl looked down to the floor. It was hard to be a good guy in their world and you could never be sure if it was worth giving somebody a chance or not.

"It's who you are." She said. "I'm still stuck with that."

"No, we ain't." He shook his head. "I should have killed them."

"Maybe." She shrugged standing up to walk away.

He shouted. "The ones that took you, Maggie and Katy. What did they do?"

"To us, they didn't do anything."

Katy walked onto the porch squinting as the sun hit her eyes but smiling when she saw Daryl sitting on the steps looking seriously at his bike. He had a cigarette in his hand which brought back nostalgia for the woman as she sat down and put her head on his shoulder.

"I haven't smoked since High School."

"That's what Carol thought you'd say."

"Carol's been here?" She asked. "Is she okay?"

"She seems fine." He shrugged. "Why won't you tell me what happened when you were taken?"

"They didn't hurt us so what does it matter?"

"It just does." He mumbled.

"They said some stuff about having babies nowadays." She gave him a snippet of the time. "It made me think but it could have been a lot worse. Besides, I made friends with Carol so you should be happy."