2.0

"Do you wanna marry me?" 

Daryl Dixon asked Katy with a nervous disposition and she could tell he was trying his best not to mumble or fall back into his defensive shell. She gasped not able to believe that he would want to marry somebody, especially her.

"What?"

"How many more times do you want me to say it?" He asked with a nervous smile as he held the ring out in his hand. "Marry me."

"Yeah, give me the ring." She nodded barely able to speak."It would be rude for you not to kiss me now."

"Wouldn't wanna be rude."

Daryl put his hands on Katy's hips and lifted her up slightly as their lips met and moved together with so much lust -- they were happier than ever.

"I'm a Dixon." She shook her head in disbelief. "We're married."

"Shutup, Dixon." He said with a smirk.

"You're way too happy about saying that." She laughed pecking his nose.

"It feels like payback." He shrugged. "I love you."

"And I love you."

They pushed their foreheads together and Daryl grunted slightly. They both had so many emotions running through them and could feel the tingle in their veins.

"It's been so long since we were alone." Katy raised her eyebrows. "That looks like a pretty good tree."

"I'm not gonna risk somebody seeing that."

"Come on, honeymoon."

"Not a very good one."

"It doesn't matter where we are." Katy commented as she took his hand and let her head loll onto his shoulder.

"Sleep." He told her when he noticed the dark rings around her eyes.

As they stood against each other rain began to pour heavily from the sky and their eyes widened, they had been hoping for rain their entire time on the road. They both felt immense relief that the draught was over.

"We can't stay out in this." Daryl thought aloud. "I'll take the group to the barn I found."

"Okay"

"I'll carry you back." He told her as a yawn escaped from her chapped lips and her eyes got heavier. "Sleep."

Waking up in between Daryl's legs was an unfamiliar and comforting feeling for Katy, the fire was warm in front of her and the only thing that slightly ruined the atmosphere was the thunder and lightning flashing outside of the barn.

"I used to feel sorry for kids that had to grow up now." Rick began. "But I think I got it wrong. Growin' up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them."

"This isn't the world." Michonne insisted. "This isn't it."

Daryl's arms wrapped tighter around Katy at the tone of the conversation.

"But it is now." Katy said as Daryl's arms wrapped tighter around her. "This is what we've been left with."

"That's giving up."

"No, it's reality." Glenn said. "This might be it."

"This is what we have to live with." Rick's husky voice started again. "When I was a kid, I asked my grandpa if the Germans ever tried to kill him in the war. He said every day he woke up and told himself 'rest in peace, now get up and go to war'. After a few years of pretending he was dead, he made it out alive."

"And that's the trick of it. We do what we need to do and then we get to live and no matter what we find in DC I know we'll be okay because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves, 'We are The Walking Dead'"

"We ain't them." Daryl's rough voice sounded from the crook of Katy's neck.

"What if we are? Just a better version."

Daryl sat next to Maggie while everybody else in the barn slept, they both had their bodies leaning back against the barn door, tired but not able to properly rest. Daryl's eyes were trained on Katy which Maggie noticed.

"She's not gonna disappear."

"I just like looking at her." He shrugged.

"I get it." She tried to smile. "I noticed the ring."

"Yeah." He nodded.

"I'm happy for you both." Maggie noticed his tired appearance. "It's okay to rest now."

Daryl nodded just before he noticed Sasha awake and listening to the conversation -- she had been struggling with the close losses of her boyfriend and brother.

"He was tough." Daryl spoke about Tyreese.

"He was"

"So was she" He mentioned Beth to Maggie who's eyes filled with warmth. "She didn't know it but she was."

• Edited •