0.8

Everything at the prison seemed to be going wrong and it was severely affecting everybody; the morale was low and shoulders were slumped

Everything at the prison seemed to be going wrong and it was severely affecting everybody; the morale was low and shoulders were slumped. Katy kept zoning out when she was around people and had quite taken to spending a few hours of the day alone, she was doing that outside when a body sat down next to her. 

"Wanna come hunting?" Daryl asked only to get a nod in reply and the two stood up together and made their way towards the gate.

"Are we gonna tell someone we're leaving?"

He grunted and shook his head. "It don't matter."

"You alright?" He looked at Katy firmly as they entered the woods together. "You've been quiet."

"Everyone's down aren't they?"

"You shouldn't be worrying about it."

"I care about everyone, I can't help it."

The man nodded in understanding as they took slow steps across the muddy ground, avoiding branches that would snap and trees that would get in their way. Katy turned to look at Daryl in the calming silence and noticed his casual grip on the crossbow that he always carried with him.

"I've never shot a crossbow."

The corners of Daryl's lips twitched upwards slightly. "I'll show you if ya want."

"I dunno if I'd be any goo-"

The redneck cut off the brunette and put a finger to his lips, pointing towards a tree where a Squirrel was quickly scurrying around the bark. Daryl moved quickly stepping behind the woman and taking hold of her hands, he placed his crossbow in between her hands and aimed it at the Squirrel.

"Shoot." He whispered.

Katy let the arrow go and for a moment it looked as if there was hope until the arrow flopped downwards and hit the ground far away from the target.

"You cant expect to be as good as me."

"With a bit of practice, I'll be much better." She joked.

"Yeah, keep trying."

For the rest of the day the pair travelled through the woods with Katy trying to shoot and Daryl laughing when she failed miserably; she did get slightly better as the time wore on though so his gloating had to disperse at some points.

"I wish I could just stay out here with you forever." Katy mumbled.

Daryl walked closer to her and attached his lips to hers -- he had obviously kissed girls before Katy but he had been shy about it at first and she had been taking the lead in all of their intimacies but as the time they had been spending together increased he was becoming more comfortable with the girl than he had been with anybody before. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kept her forehead pressed against his.

"I know a place we could stay tonight." He informed her.

Their hands joined and Daryl took the lead to guide her towards an old looking shack that he had previously found while on a run with Michonne. It was empty and unused, the owners having fled after the outbreak.

As they stood in the quiet house they moved towards each other automatically, the charges in their lips attracting each other majorly. Their kisses got rougher as Katy pushed him back lightly so he hit the wall, his hands travelled to her thighs and he squeezed them so that she jumped into his arms. Hands tangling in hair and clothes becoming eagerly undone, she moved her hands down the skin on his back, pausing when she discovered a rough section of his skin.

"What are they?"

Daryl's eyes grew wide and he grabbed his shirt to keep his back from view. "Nothing."

"Daryl." She panicked. "I'm not gonna judge you for anything."

He closed his eyes shaking his head and Katy's heart ached for the man in front of her. The troubled man went to speak but instead sunk to the floor of the cabin and turned away from her, dropping his shirt. The woman knelt down and put her hand on his shoulders; Katy gasped as she saw the awful scarring on Daryl's back, they were raised and vivid, clearly old.

"How?"

He faltered and sighed. "My dad." 

"Daryl." She whispered kissing his shoulder lightly.

"People don't know."

"They're nothing to be ashamed of Daryl. We all have scars, yours are just more visible." 

"Thank you." 

"You don't have to thank me, I'd do anything to help you." He turned around curiously.

"Why?" 

Katy's heart raced. "I think that I might love you a little bit, Daryl." 

"You wouldn't think like that if you knew what I used to be like." He said aware of his rough exterior.

"How you are now is all that matters."

"Maybe I feel the same way about you."

• Edited •