1.1

"You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon

"You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon."

Daryl was certain that he would miss Beth Greene if anything happened to her but he was determined to keep her safe as a way to repay all of the good things Hershal had done for him and the friend that Maggie had been to him and the person that he was discovering Beth was.

They had been sitting in the dark night on the porch of the house that reminded him of his fathers' house and they liked the calm atmosphere that came with speaking to the other. Beth now felt that she could tell Daryl things she had always thought even though she could tell that he didn't like the thought.

"You're made for the way things are now." She told him. "You're gonna be the last man standing."

"We should go inside." He nodded towards the house.

Beth shook her head, a wide grin taking over her face. "We should burn it."

The first thought that ran through Daryl's mind was 'that's stupid' but as he thought about the idea more he realised that maybe burning that place which he felt represented bad things would be a beautiful release. They didn't need money anymore but they had some of it so why not use it to start an optimistic fire. They only watched it burn for a little bit before raising their middle fingers and turning away -- going against the old natural order and loving it.

"This is a serious piggyback."

Daryl assured her as she jumped onto his back after injuring her ankle while he was teaching her how to shoot. They had become so comfortable with each other. The unlikely pair found themselves in what appeared to be a funeral home which was a weird experience in the new world where death was second nature to everybody. He still had his reservations as they walked through the doors and began to look around but Beth had her confidence in humanity intact as ever.

"There are still good people, Daryl."

"I don't think the good ones survive."

The room in the house that was the most surprising was one that held a casket with a body inside but as Daryl discovered wiping his fingers on the waxy looking face of the man, it was a walker that had been painted to look human again.

"It's beautiful."

Beth said in awe that somebody could care so much to go through the effort and give the walkers a funeral of a real person. They hadn't been changed into monsters in the eyes of the funeral man, they had just been sick and unlucky. Daryl couldn't believe the optimism that radiated off the young girl -- she was just so good.

The kitchen was stocked with food that they gathered before sitting down on a round table to eat together, the house was clean and looked after and they decided to keep it like that in case whoever owned it came back.