34| Don't Feel Quite Right

Ray left New York after spending almost a week with Sam

Ray left New York after spending almost a week with Sam. He and Alyssa became relatively good friends, and Samantha felt glad her sister approved of her boyfriend. Raymond was right, Rose liked him as well, although she would confuse him with Sam's uncle often. Samantha still didn't understand how it worked, and Rose's confusion remained a mystery to her. Rose's condition continued to worsen, but it felt manageable for now.

Still, Sam hired a nurse to have someone to look after her grandmother and even Amber insisted there was no need for that. Sam didn't want to use Amber's kind heart. The caretaker agreed to work when Sam traveled, Samantha planned to leave, but just for a few days at once.

At the start of the month, the family celebrated Alyssa's and Jennifer's birthdays Sam felt glad the event was held insignificantly, and they didn't invite Tom.

Today was Ray's birthday, and Sam was flying to Toronto. Purple Rain had been on the tour for the last three weeks, and that was the reason Ray left New York. He didn't know Sam was coming, so she felt nervous about his reaction to her visit. This was Samantha's first trip since she came back to New York, so leaving Rose felt slightly scary for her.

Sam packed just a few things in a small bag. She left instructions for the nurse and Amber and drove to the airport. The flight seemed brief, just an hour and a half. Sam never visited Canada before, so this also felt like a chance to see the country. Samantha planned the trip a while ago since she knew Ray's birthday would be when the band toured.

Her plan seemed simple. Sam bought a VIP ticket to see Purple Rain. That way, there won't be many people, and she will be able to make a surprise. The ticket includes an acoustic concert from the band, a few merchandise items, photos, and autographs from the group. That was when she planned to enter when guys will take pictures with fans. Hopefully, they won't notice her until the acoustic show will be over.

After arriving in Toronto, Sam had just two hours until the show. First, she checked into the hotel and got ready. Since Ray certainly liked one of her dresses, she bought a similar style dress just in deep burgundy color. Turned out Ray's favorite color was dark red, so Samantha chose this attire, especially for him. Underneath the dress, she put on a lacy black and red push-up bra and matching panties.

Samantha was finishing her makeup when Ray called. She didn't pick up, and it killed her to do it. But her makeup was almost done, and she felt afraid he would ask why Sam was so embellished, and she didn't want to lie to him, especially on his birthday. She highlighted her eyes with dark brown eyeshadows and sharp-winged eyeliner. And painted her lips in a deep burgundy color to match her dress. Surely Ray would notice she seemed ready for an event if she would pick up his video call.

After letting Ray's call go unanswered. She curled the ends of her hair, they had grown significantly in the last two months and almost reached her shoulders. Sam completed her look with black platform shoes and a small backpack. She took a thin cardigan with her since the dress left a lot of naked skin, and Toronto greeted her with a harsh wind.