12| Numb II

"Sam, open the door," she heard a familiar voice, seemingly decreased by the door

Molly reacted faster and opened the entrance. Samantha stood between the entrance and the living room.

Raymond came to her immediately, hugging her tightly, and kissed her neck. That strange man casually followed him into the flat. Molly cleared her throat in a loud creak, forcing Ray and Sam to separate from the embrace.

"Hello, again, Samantha," the man said in a stern voice. "We all should talk." He studied each person standing in the room, Sam nodded her head at his suggestion.

The four of them traveled to the living room. Soon they picked spots to sit down, Ray and Sam on the couch, Paul in the armchair, and Molly on the sofa backrest near Raymond and Samantha.

"I'm private detective Paul Murphy," the man said, pausing for a moment. "Mister Lawrence explained your situation, and I'm here to help you, Miss Morris." He leaned back in the chair with his fingers intertwined on his stomach.

"I'm M—"

The detective cut off Molly, lifting his palm in the front of his chest. He took out a red notepad from his pants pocket.

"Yes, Miss Molly Fleming, best friend, father lost family funds, living with an actor Mason Hale. Work—"

"Got it, you know everything about us. Right?" Molly interrupted, her tone seemed snarky.

"That's my job. First, I established all your relationships with Miss Morris to have a better idea of how I can help." Paul held a soothing voice and a calm demeanor.

"Sam, call me Sam," she said, smiling at him. "Do you have any ideas about this situation?" She rubbed her hands on her thighs.

"Yes, a few. I'm taking your case. Since yesterday, I've been officially working for you," Pauls said. Samantha gasped in surprise, glancing at Ray.

"I meant to tell you that." Raymond smiled and put his hand on hers.

"I will try to make this first meeting short," Paul finished his initial thought. "First, I suggest cutting off all physical contact with Mister Shaw." Sam glanced at Ray. "But unfortunately, the situation requires you to have minimum contact with him, so he won't have suspicions about your knowledge, and about your findings." Ray shook his head to the side.

"How long do you think that will take?" Samantha asked. The detective furrowed his forehead, making him look older. "For him not to get suspicious?" Sam didn't let him answer. "We meet at least twice a week, usually, and it would be hard to make logical reasons not to see him." Sam stared at Pau desperately, craving to know more.

"Mister Lawrence and I found an excellent excuse for how to do that," Paul said and glanced at Ray. Detective slightly nodded, permitting Raymond to share what they planned.

"You have been thinking about traveling," Raymond said, peering at her. "As I mentioned, I'm going on tour, so you could come with me." Molly laughed intensely, hearing Ray's plan.