18| Pretending

The date night felt incredible for Sam

The date night felt incredible for Sam. Getting to know Ray seemed like a new favorite thing to her. Her feelings for him still scared her, though.

She met him two weeks ago, but it felt like she knew him much longer than that. Maybe because in those two weeks, they saw each other often, or perhaps because he came into Sam's life during this hectic time. Ray's openness felt very unfamiliar to her.

She packed for the trip, even though they had a week left until the tour. Sam liked to be prepared in advance. Going through her wardrobe led Samantha to find her journal. Michael gave her that journal. It was just a folder in which she could put any notebook. Brown leather cover with the family crest and her name below it.

It has been a while since she wrote there. Sam didn't consider the notebook as a diary since she didn't write there every day. She would write when she felt overwhelmed. The last entry was when Michael died, and he passed away six months ago. Sam's writing seemed a bit dark there, so she decided to change the mood of her journal and write about Raymond.

After an hour of writing pleasant stuff about her life, her story took a turn, and she ended up writing about Scott. And unfortunately, this entry also ended with gloomy thoughts. Am I even capable of seeing the bright side of life? Who knew? She certainly didn't.

Raymond and she decided to visit Molly's place to hang out that evening. Molly and Mason planned to pack their apartment the next day, and before that, they agreed to have the game night. Molly wanted to talk with Ray in a less stressful setting. They communicated a bit, but Molly mostly knew about Ray from what Sam told her. But before the game night, Sam had to face her other friend.

She thought about Scott for the last couple of days more than usual. He texted her, saying he came back to Los Angeles even though he didn't leave his apartment, according to Paul.

Scott invited her for lunch, and Sam planned to decline his proposal. But Paul asked her to go, as it seemed an excellent opportunity for his team to get into Scott's apartment. The detective didn't specify the purpose of that, but Paul assured her, she would be safe. She wasn't scared of Scott, but she felt very uncomfortable around him.

They agreed to meet at Starbucks on Wilshire Boulevard. That was ten minutes away from Sam's apartment. They often hang out there during their university years. There you can eat outside, and the weather appeared great for meals outdoors. And even though many people told Sam to stop going there she didn't, for her, food and coffee remained always tasty, and the staff acted friendly enough. Sometimes the place looked messy, but that was mostly during rush hours, so that seemed understandable.

After a quick walk, Sam reached the coffee shop and looked around. A few people sat outside, having their meal. None of them were Scott. Therefore, she moved into the building while trying to find him, but couldn't detect him anywhere. So Sam decided to order some food and coffee.

The interior of the establishment possessed white and brown shades with bricks and some metal details. There stood booths on each side of the room and in the middle singular tables with chairs. The counters stayed at the back of the room. The menus hung above them, and a part of the kitchen appeared visible behind the bar. On the left wall hung a big flatscreen, showing a daytime program.