31| Head Above Water

Samantha felt lonely for the last two weeks

Samantha felt lonely for the last two weeks. Raymond came back to Los Angeles a few days ago, but since Purple Rain worked on their third album, he had to stay in the city of Angels.

And Sam couldn't leave Rose. Although Rose seemed like herself, most of the time, the worst appeared the night Sam came back to New York. Samantha had to consider moving to New York permanently. That would mean Ray and she would probably break up. Maybe it seemed naïve to believe they will end up together.

The pair talked every day on the phone. And Sam missed Ray, she wanted to be with him. So she felt stuck between what she wanted and what she had to do. Her parents were leaving for Italy, so the evening before their trip, they planned a family dinner at Rose's home. Samantha rarely saw her sister since Alyssa was finishing her school year. So Sam felt excited that Alyssa will stay with her for a few days.

Sam had been writing her journal like a crazy lady, at this point, it seemed more like a diary. It remained mostly about Ray, the way she felt about him. Reading her own thoughts sometimes helped to make the relationship more real. And gave her hope that they will make it. She often wrote about Scott, as well. It seemed like preparation for what she would say to him when she saw him.

Samantha was talking to Ray, hearing a commotion downstairs. She finished her video chat, knowing her parents arrived. She left her room and bumped into Alyssa in the corridor.

"Which room is mine?" Alyssa asked. She held a small bag in her right hand.

Samantha realized Alyssa matured in the last few months. She had blond strands in her otherwise black, ratty hair, and added bangs to mask her tall forehead. Her full lips shined in the light and had a slight pink color. Even her face shape seemed different, her cheeks looked more exposed, and her nose seemed bigger. Her figure looked fuller, more feminine.

"Take whichever you want," Sam said and pointed to the rooms at the back of the hall.

"It's your house," Alyssa said, shifting her weight on her right hip.

"It's still Grandma's house," Sam pointed out, smirking. "Take the one at the end of the corridor. That one has a separate bathroom," she added.

"Great," Alyssa said, and strolled down the corridor, swaying her bag to the sides.

Sam went downstairs, hearing laughter coming from the living room. The foyer remained empty. She passed the hall and moved toward the room when the doorbell rang.

"I will get it," Sam shouted, the laughter and chatter continued, forcing Sam to shake her head.

Usually Amber greeted the guests, but since Sam held near the entrance, she went to open the door, and a big part of her felt sure everyone failed to notice the doorbell anyway. He stood on the porch, a bouquet of red roses in his left hand, and a bottle of wine in the right one.

His green eyes seemed glossy. "Hi," he said, clearing his throat with a silent cough. "Your mom invited me," he explained.

"That is such a surprise," Sam said in a mocking tone. Tom chuckled at her words, revealing the dimples in his cheeks.