2| Whiskey In The Jar

The concert felt excellent, except for the whiskey-soaked t-shirt

The concert felt excellent, except for the whiskey-soaked t-shirt. Samantha and Molly danced and sang along with a band, mostly Sam since Molly barely knew the words to the songs. Although a few songs of the set remained foreign to Samantha as well, she guessed the tracks were new.

Scott and Rory joined in after three songs. Rory was the one who stumbled and spilled the whiskey on Sam's back. They didn't stay for the entire set, though, deciding they would instead drink more whiskey in the kitchen.

After the last accords of the song vanished, Sam and Molly looked around, expecting to find some of their friends. Sam glanced at the band as they were packing instruments. It felt chaotic as people divided through the living room. Some people climbed upstairs, and a few lingered near the entrance door. A group of girls stayed near the make-shift stage and tried to talk with the band.

"I will go find Mason," Molly said, catching Sam's attention. "Are you okay staying alone?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sam responded with a nod. "Find me later?"

"Okay. Mason probably is still in the basement, so I will look there first," Molly said and fled to find her boyfriend.

Mason was not a big fan of alternative music, and he was not as tolerant of rock music as Molly. So after finding out, there will be a concert, he played pool in the basement instead.

Sam looked around once more, expecting to notice at least one familiar face and realizing all the surrounding people remained strangers. She left the lounge to find her friends and maybe more rum with coke.

As she reached a narrow hallway between the living room and the kitchen, there she noticed a small table lying on the ground and some books scattered on the wooden floor. People walked through them, some stepping on the novels as well. The familiar red-themed cover of the book captured her attention.

Her pulse raced, and her hands felt tingly. Samantha gulped, feeling a slight lump in her throat. She picked up the novel, studying the front of the book.

Detective Noah and a Man with the red scarf by Michael Morris. She read the title, tuning out the sounds of the party.

"That's a marvelous book." She heard someone say. His voice had a distinctive rasp, and not just when he sang. She raised her eyes from the book and observed a guy with ridged black hair and deep brown eyes.

She swallowed the lump in her throat. "Yes, it is," she remarked. Maybe she would feel more excited to see him, but intense emotions from observing the book were still running through her.

"I'm Raymond," he said, giving Sam his hand, introducing himself like she didn't already know who he was.

"Samantha." She shook his hand. His rings felt cold on her palm. Why is he looking at me like that? His eyes seemed kind. Say something, anything. "I liked your show," she finally said, trying to calm her breathing.