3| Sad But True

Sam's thoughts swirled as she sipped on a cocktail

Sam's thoughts swirled as she sipped on a cocktail. Deep down she knew Molly was right, or at least to some extent. Samantha and Molly had a long past. They grew up in New York, went to the same private school, and the girls have been neighbors as long as both of them could remember. So they were more like a family.

They both moved to Los Angeles when they were eighteen, went to university, and remained roommates for three years. Samantha's father bought her a two-bedroom apartment before moving to a new town, so Molly moved in with her.

At that moment, Molly's parents still had their wealth. Unfortunately, they lost their fortune a few months ago, through some poor investments Mister Fleming made. Leaving Molly without financial backup and forcing her to find a part-time job.

Molly always depended on her dad's money, and transitioning from rich to the working class stayed hard for her. Molly moved out of Sam's apartment around a year ago. Molly and Mason got seriously involved. The past year was very different for the girls. The Fleming family lost their wealth, and Samantha became a millionaire. Molly felt it wasn't fair, and perhaps that was partially true.

Samantha sat on a porch, her legs tucked underneath her. A slight breeze passed through the backyard, forcing trees in front of her to sway and make shadows on the freshly cut grass.

She mixed cocktails, drinking alone, reminiscing about what Molly said. Since she graduated, she has done nothing, spending her time watching The Office and having a Johnny Depp movies marathon. In theory, she didn't have to work. And despite inheriting a fortune, the year felt difficult for her.

She planned to travel, and she wanted to visit Europe. Samantha and Molly had a plan to travel last summer, but Sam had to stay in New York. She could travel now, but she felt scared Molly would be even madder. Even though Molly went to Italy and France this summer and didn't wait for Sam.

"Why are you sitting here all alone in the dark?" She was so focused on her reflections, she didn't hear him come out. He sat down beside her on the porch stairs with his hands stuffed in his jeans pockets.

"I am not alone. Morgan is keeping me company," she answered, raising a bottle of rum.

"Scott is looking for you," Ray said, leaning toward his knees.

"I know." She lifted her phone, revealing Scott was calling. She declined three calls from him and put her phone on silent mode. Molly got into her head, telling her that Scott was more than a friend, and the possible rumors about them didn't help either.

"Are you okay? You seem upset." Ray tilted his head to look at her.

"I got into a fight with Molly, not a fight, more like an argument. She said some hurtful words," she explained.

Why am I telling him this? It wasn't like her to tell a stranger's very personal things, she blamed the booze. By now all that remained was rum, she swallowed more of the drink and offered him a bottle. To her surprise, he took a gulp.