Chapter Forty-Five

Magsimula sa umpisa

          “Nothing.”

          “What did you want to tell me?”

          She bit her lip. “I-I… Steven?” She glanced at her brother, hoping for him to take over.

          He hesitated as well. “It’s just that… We heard something this morning.”

          “This morning?” June wondered—how late was it? How long had she slept? She shook the question out of her mind though, as it didn’t matter. “What did you hear?”

          “Last night... there was a big fire, and a house burned down. But they say… they say that there were priests there, that they were hunting werewolves. They even took one with them to the Cathedral.”

          “Oh...” June muttered.

          “Yeah, and I went to investigate, but the Cathedral is closed—the doors are locked. They’re never locked, not during the festival!” Nadia said.

          “So we were wondering, were you there?”

          The both of them looked down on June, waiting for an answer. She didn’t meet their gaze, but stared down at her hands, trying to think of a good lie. She never planned to run into them, she had no idea what she would tell them if they would ask this question…

          “Come on, Sarah, please tell us the truth.”

          “Y-Yes,” she admitted. “Yes, I was there.”

          They stayed surprisingly calm as they asked, “Why? Are you a… are you a werewolf?”

          Unsure of what to do, June looked up at them. They wanted to trust her, she could see it in their eyes. But clasped in her hand, Nadia carried a small crucifix, just in case. With her thumb, she rubbed over the old, battered surface.

          June took a deep breath. “I’m… not a werewolf,” she said. “They… they took me. Marc was leading the attack to get me back.”

          Nadia exhaled, relieved, and managed a little smile. Steven seemed to be relieved by the news as well, though still concerned. “Who took you?” he asked.

          “Blake.” It was the first name that came to mind.

          “The guy in the Cathedral? I thought werewolves couldn’t-”

          “Me too. I thought he was my friend. But he wasn’t. He forced me to go with him, to that house. And Terrance too…”

          “Why?” Steven asked.