Chapter Seventeen

Remember Camp NaNoWriMo in June, when I wrote so much? And that I wrote near nothing in July? Well, I'm doing Camp again, and I hope it'll be more like June than July :).

Took a long time (half a month) to write the first few paragraphs of this chapter, and only a few hours to write the rest. So I hope it's not all over the place, and that it's alright.

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          The laboratory was a dark and dank place, in the cellar underneath the building. One of the alphas led them down a narrow stairs; the basement was even more of a maze than the many corridors above ground. Memories of the underground passageways of Dew came to June—memories she’d rather forget. Terrance, however, stayed calm and joked about it. She suspected it was to relax her, but it made her only more tense. At every corner, she was afraid there might be a vampire to jump at her, a pale and stinking corpse that would strangle her with his ice cold hands and plunge his sharp fangs into her neck.

          Terrance nudged her, and she looked to her side, startled. He shook his head—don’t be afraid—and gestured to the alpha walking in front of them. He held his head high, motioning she should do the same. June nodded, she knew she had to be strong. Be like the Immortal Fox. That was what she needed to do, that was the part she had to play. Joanne Vixen…

          “How long is this going to take?” she asked impatiently. “How far is it to this alchemist?”

          The alpha glanced over his shoulder. “Not long. We’re almost there.”

          “We’d better. I do not wish to be played with.”

          “Certainly, Miss Vixen. I can understand that. After all, you are the Immortal Fox, the Duchess of Dew—we are all honored to be in your presence. None of us wish to play with you, to cheat you in any way. You… you just surprised us, I have to say. We aren’t sure what to do with your visit.”

          “You were aware that the prophecy speaks of an Immortal, were you not?” she asked, trying to sound ice cold. She noticed how Terrance slowly nodded and shot her the slightest of smiles; she was doing good.

          “Y-Yeah, but we didn’t know… You haven’t left your castle in Dew for as long as anyone can remember. We expected this Immortal to be… someone else…”

          “Who?”

          The alpha seemed rather awkward. “I-I don’t know… There’s a lot of stories about other Immortals. Other First Animals, for example; ones that weren’t as important as you are. Or the witch from Devil’s Chills—they say she’s Immortal too. Or someone that we didn’t know about yet… B-But not you, ma’am. After all, you are-”

          “They thought you wouldn’t side with werewolves,” Terrance interrupted, and the wolf glanced gratefully at him. He was obviously getting nervous by June—she was glad he didn’t see how nervous she was. “After all, you’ve always surrounded yourself with vampires, haven’t you?”