Chapter Forty

Yay, another chapter :). It's a bit small, but kinda exciting.

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          The chaos and confusion in the camp slowly faded as more werewolves gathered around the man lying in the grass. He wasn’t unconscious, although his blood-covered face showed he’d taken a beating not too long ago. He didn’t try to get up, but simply lay on the ground, waiting for anyone to do something, or to say something. The werewolves that surrounded him kept a close, wary eye on the man. Only when Nikolai approached did they step back.

          “What the Hell happened here?!” he roared, seeing the empty pole and the ropes that had previously tied June on the ground. “Where is the prisoner?!”

          The man chuckled. “Long gone by now, I’m sorry.”

          Angry, Nikolai looked down on him. “You’re her assistant…”

          “I’m Joanne’s assistant, no one else’s. Or rather, I was that, till she died.”

          “Don’t lie to me, you were helping her. Did you help her escape too?”

          “Would she have beaten me down if I had? No, I just came here for my own reasons—I came here to speak to you.”

          He growled. “And it just so happens you’re lying a few feet away from where she untied herself and escaped? I don’t think so. Give me one good reason not to rip your heart out and kill you now!”

          “What if I give you three?” said Blake calmly. “Putting aside the plain and obvious reasons that it would be impossible for you to first rip out my heart, then kill me, and that I wouldn’t like it very much if you did tried, of course…”

          “Don’t waste your time by stalling,” Nikolai growled. “It seems you have so little left…”

          “Well, firstly, you shouldn’t kill me because I am smarter than you. Secondly, I know Terrance Longeway; I know what he will do, I know how his mind works.”

          “And third?”

          “Thirdly, I have an Immortal in my possession—or rather, I am the only one who knows her current location. One little girl, neatly gagged and tied up, can be delivered to you, along with her part of the connection.”

          “The other part is missing, thanks to you—what good is only one half of the connection?!”

          Blake shrugged. “I don’t know about that, but the girl makes for good bait, don’t you think. I know how far Terrance will go for that kid and trust me, he’d bite. And, knowing June, she’ll be with him when he does. With the locket. So you only need the right kind of trap… and I’ll help with that.”

          “You’ll help with that… and what do you want in return?” Nikolai asked. “Why should I trust you?”