Chapter Forty-Two

Second chapter uploaded today! Woohoo :).Let's start that chaos in the HQ!

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          Startled by the sudden noises, the wolves stopped growling, if even for a second, to listen. Men were shouting and running through the building. Wolves howled and roared. The metal sounds of weapons and combat. The many different sounds confused the animals in front of June, and they were unsure whether to attack her, or to leave and fight the priests.

          “Not me,” she whispered, afraid to move.

          They growled, but then turned away from her and quickly disappeared around a corner, leaving her alone in the hallway, trying to steady her heartbeat. What had just happened, she wasn't sure, but the building was filled with fights—she could hear then coming closer through the corridor, and she had no doubt who they were. “Kill the demons,” the priests shouted. “Glory to the name of God!”

          Quickly, she started running into the other direction. Even though she hadn't transformed into a real wolf for some reason, her tail and wolf ears would still mark her as a werewolf, and she was sure the priests would not hesitate to kill her too. She quickly searched her pockets for her ring, but couldn't find it. Had Nikolai taken it when he kidnapped her? Or had she left it in her room?

          A sudden growl from her left startled her. Instinctively, she jumped out of the way of the wolf that lunged at her. He missed and his muzzle hit the wall behind. He gave a slight yelp, but was quick to regain himself and take his fighting stance. She growled. “Go kill the priests, not me!” she said.

          He didn't seem to understand her, but bared his teeth, getting ready for a second attack. She hesitated; she was afraid to fight this wolf. Even though her own power had returned to her over the day, she was unsure if that would be enough to take on a wild animal this size. And even if she could, she would lose precious time, and wouldn't be able to find her ring before the priests reached her. But... she couldn't outrun the four legged animal, and if she ran, he'd hunt her down.

          He snapped his teeth and gave another snarl.

          “I don't... want to fight you,” June tried, but it was obvious her words were in vane. The werewolf lowered his body, readying himself to lunge once again. Quickly, she closed her eyes and concentrated, whispering a prayer.

          The wolf jumped.

          But he never made it to her. He didn't come that far. In midair, he hit an invisible wall. Surprised, he tried to step through, but couldn't. He growled and scratched at it, but it held.

          June couldn't deny herself a slight smile as she watched the magic barrier she had created. The wolf on the other side was furious, but he couldn't reach her no matter how he tried—the barrier closed the hallway wholly, leaving not a single crack for the animal. However, June wasn't sure how long the barrier would hold, and she wished to be long gone before it faded. As she turned and moved on, the wolf was throwing himself at the wall, trying to get through.