Chapter Nineteen

As I said, a mad June and a happy Maya. Only... June's less mad than I originally thought, and Maya less happy. The second part of the chapter is different though: another magic lesson. That'll be fun, right?

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          She found her way back out of the basement corridors; using Terrance’s directions, it wasn’t hard to get back upstairs. Nobody bothered her as she walked to Maya’s room. Apparently, she must have looked frightening, because even the alphas knew better than to approach her without care. She growled and told them she did not want to be disturbed. They left her alone immediately.

          The door to Maya’s room was closed, but there were sounds coming from the inside—voices talking. Worried, June immediately tried the door. It was locked, or barricaded by the little girl’s magic.

          “Maya?” she asked. “Are you in there? Are you alright?”

          The sounds hushed, but she was sure she had heard more than just one voice… What if one of the werewolves had found a way inside? What if they had gotten to Maya? What if Nikolai…?

          “Please open up. It’s me, Ju-Joanne. Can you open the door for me?”

          The door unlocked suddenly, and it swung aside. Maya was facing her, smiling. “We waited for you,” she said. “Terrance too. Where is he?”

          She quickly stepped inside, closing the door behind her, and took Maya’s hand. “He’s… doing something else.” He was charming a woman into telling him her secrets, but she didn’t tell her that. Instead, she let her gaze flash through the room. Aside from Maya, there was only one other person in there: Marc. He was sitting on the bed, showing a faint smile as he watched her.

          “Hi June.”

          “Hi…” she muttered, a bit surprised. She hadn’t expected him to be here. She thought that, after the confusion in the mess hall, Marc had gone out so he would be safe from the werewolves. And… she thought Terrance had told Maya not to open the door for anyone but him and June.  “How did you get in? I… I thought she always listened exactly to what Terrance said…”

          “I do. But he knew the password,” Maya said.

          “Password?”

          She nodded. “Yes. Terrance says, always do what he says and never trust anyone, except when someone knows the password; that means I can trust them as well, whoever they might be.”

          “I don’t know the password.”

          “That’s because you don’t need to know it,” said the little girl. “He only tells it if he must, or else it wouldn’t be a real password, right?”

          “Right… So how come you know it?” June asked Marc. “I mean, does Terrance trust you more than me?”