Chapter Thirty-Nine

I like this chapter, but I won't tell you why--spoilers ;). I'll tell you later, once you've read it, okay?

Enjoy.

-=-=-=-

          Blake? She tried to turn her head to see his face, but couldn't. She recognized his voice though, and his smell too.

          “I have come to help you,” he whispered. “Terrance sent me.” Slowly, he lifted his hand from her mouth. “Be very quiet, okay?”

          She nodded and shot a glance to her guard. He was still asleep and hadn't noticed her rescuer.

          “Good. Now, I'll undo these binds so we can leave. Terrance said to be gone as soon as possible, before we get caught. I'd rather avoid all these werewolves getting a piece of me...”

          Again, she nodded and moved her jaw up and down to tell him to get the rag out first.

          “Oh, sorry. Sure.” Quickly, he pulled it from her head, then started on untying her. “That better?”

          “Much,” she whispered. “Thanks.”

          “Don't mention it. Terrance was worried about you, and frankly, so was I. You just disappeared.”

          “Terrance was worried?” June asked.

          “Of course. You're important to him, you know. He may not care to admit it, but it's the truth—and not just because he needs you for this scheme of his.”

          “Yeah, right... He did everything for this scheme, that's the only reason he even bothered taking me with him,” she muttered.

          Blake glanced at her, surprised. “You really think that?”

          Why shouldn't I? There's nothing he doesn't lie about.”

          “Then why would he sent Maya along with me to save you? He'd never risk that girl, not without a good reason. So can you still deny that you don't matter to him?”

          “He... he sent Maya?”

          Blake nodded. “He sure did. She's making sure no one will follow us in our escape right now... You'll see her in a minute.”

          “But Terrance, he's still in...”

          “In Oakes, yes. He still had a lot to do. He needs to figure out that alchemist's recipe and why Nikolai even did this...”

          “I know why,” she muttered.

          “You do?”