Chapter Thirty-Six

This chapter is slightly longer than the last one, which is a good thing since I suspect my chapters are mostly shorter due to NaNo. So I hope you can enjoy it ^^

-=-=-=-

          “What do you mean 'she's not there'?!” Terrance slammed the door to his quarters shut.

          Blake shrugged. “Make a guess. It means June isn't there.”

          “Then where the Hell is she?” Terrance growled angrily. “Where the Hell did she go?”

          “I don't know, but I can tell you she isn't in the building. We've searched high and low, and there's no sign of her.”

          “Have you searched everywhere?” he asked. “There's nowhere you've missed?”

          Again, he shrugged. “I don't know, it's not like I know this place or anything. I've just walked in and out of rooms, been opening doors and closets at random. Can't really ask anyone to help search for Joanne because she is missing, can I? But hey, I used our own little bloodhound, and she's coming up short too.”

          Sitting on the edge of the bed, Maya nodded. “It's true, I can't smell her anywhere. Only old scents from yesterday and before, but nothing new.”

          “Great,” Terrance muttered. “So she's missing...”

          “What could have happened to her?” the little girl asked.

          “My guess is she left. I mean, what you did, the way she looked—it wouldn't surprise me if she just went up and left this place. Cause come on, really, what does she have here? A bunch of werewolves, most of which would just as gladly snap her neck as follow her orders, an alchemist she's jealous on, a little kid she barely knows, me and... well, the guy that lied to her every step of the way. I don't know what you would have done in her place, but if it'd been me, I'd left too,” Blake said.

          “June didn't leave. She wouldn't have. Right, Terrance?” Maya looked up at him, waiting for his reaction. But there was none, and Blake sat down besides her.

          “June is confused. She just heard that Terrance was screwing her over again and again, and she doesn't know what to do. So she's probably somewhere else, sorting her thoughts. I think she might be in some inn, or somewhere else safe. She's alright, don't worry.”

          “But-” the little girl said, but was interrupted by Terrance, who softly muttered, “I didn't screw her over.”

          “I'm sorry?” Blake asked.

          “I didn't screw her over,” he repeated, louder this time. “I may have lied to her, but I didn't screw her over.”

          “Then what would you call it? A miscommunication? A mishap in telling her the facts of the matter? Perhaps you'd say you did her a favor, right? After all, you protected her poor, innocent little soul from all those nasty facts that would scar her for life... at least, until she found out anyway.”