Chapter Five

Wow, this chapter went fast. Really, it did. And I like it too, so there's that :).

And I wrote it with a quil I got for my birthday--how awesome is that gift! I am very happy with it :).

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          After they had put away the wagon, and the horse had all of its needs tended to in the stables, June, Marc, Terrance and Maya wandered over the square, taking in the decorations. It was obvious the upcoming celebration was important; the whole city was preparing for it. “Most of it isn't even that great,” Terrance admitted. “It's a lot of preaching, saying how awful the Devil is, praising the ‘one and only true God,’ his son and his word. Amadea gets her bit too... Personally, I don't like it that much; it's a bore. It's the evening, when the fire is lit and the music starts, that gets my fancy; I love that bit.”

          “What--dancing?” June asked.

          “Yes dancing. Where better for a wolf to dance than in front of the great Cathedral of Oakes, next to a thirty foot burning statue of a werewolf?”

          “Why a werewolf?” she wondered. “I thought they hated all demons. Why would they burn a werewolf specifically?”

          “Because it was a werewolf that pushed Amadea over the edge. She was plagued by visions of a werewolf, in her prophecies referred to as the Black Wolf. In the story, she falls in love with him, remember?”

          “Yes,” June said. “I remember. She pleaded for his life, but the monk got jealous, right? He managed to escape, but did not go to her--he did not love her back. Sad, really.”

          Terrance shrugged. “Perhaps. Wasn't meant to be, I'd say.” He glanced at Marc. “Unlike other love... But anyway, that is one of the reasons why the people of Oakes hate werewolves so.”

          “There are more?”

          “Of course! We shouldn't forget that we werewolves are the most horrendous creatures, vicious killers, absolute beasts,” he said and Maya snapped with her teeth. “We can kill just about anything and we're absolute demons. Right?”

          “Right!” the little girl said, jumping up and down.

          “Right,” June muttered. She felt absolutely unlike that. She--they--were no demons. The only thing that was different about them was their appearance, and a simple ring could take care of that. The same for the bursts of strength they could call upon. In fact, they were still very human... if it wasn't for the instinct of a werewolf. That part, June had to admit, was bad and demonic; their hunger for meat only, their need to growl, to fight. But that part could be suppressed!

          “I know,” Terrance said. “It’s not fair. We’re so much better than that. But unfortunately, not every werewolf is. There are a lot of wolves that really are the kind of menace that people think we are. After all, you shouldn’t forget that I managed to seal your demon almost immediately—and the same goes for the demon in my own body. Most werewolves aren’t that lucky though; the demons in their bodies are free for months before they get sealed—if they even get sealed at all! If not… well, let’s not let our minds linger on that kind of thought, shall we?” He gave her a smile, but June frowned, thinking about it.