Chapter Thirty-Four

Aaaaaanother chapter for the day ^^. Hope you like it. If you do, please tell me. It's a dramatic one, so that's awesome :)

Enjoy while I go write some more!

-=-=-=-

          It was dark and very damp in the downstairs corridors, and Blake, who had never been here before, relied completely on Maya to point the way. She knew where she was going—she knew exactly where the laboratory was—but she still moved slowly, hesitantly. “Shouldn’t we go back?” she wondered. “June was crying. We should cheer her up, right?”

          “Not this time,” Blake muttered. “It’s better if we just tell Terrance what happened, okay?”

          “Okay.” The little girl didn’t question him, something an adult would have done. She simply understood this was something she couldn’t understand, and trusted Blake to make the right choice. On his command, she led him to Terrance.

          He was leaning over a desk, reading a book with a degree of intensity. He didn’t seem to be bothered by the mess surrounding him, all the different liquids boiling on fire, or cooling in water. Some gave out smoke, while others seemed to be rather still. There was one potion that gave a strange high-pitch squeal every once in a while, as puffs of fog escaped the nuzzle of its bottle. Terrance was alone, Maya didn’t see the other alchemist anywhere. He was so wrapped up with his work that he didn’t notice Blake and Maya as they approached him.

          “Terrance?”

          He looked up. “Maya? Blake? What are you doing here?”

          Blake shrugged. “It was getting a little crazy upstairs.”

          “What do you mean?” His gaze turned back to his work, continuing to read the book as he listened.

          “June was doing alright, pretending to be Joanne and all. There was a little provocation from Nikolai, but nothing serious… But Marc showed up out of the blue. Caught us all by surprise.”

          “So? The idiot does that from time to time. Doesn’t matter much, he can hardly screw anything up like that, can he?”

          “Well…” Blake hesitated. “He…”

          “He told June of the deal,” Maya said.

          The both of them stared at Terrance’s back that was turned to them, waiting for a reaction. There was none—no worry, no anger, no nothing. His voice remained absolutely calm and emotionless as he asked, “And now?”

          “I’ve sent Marc out, but June crashed. I mean, I don’t know exactly what deal this was, or what you did, but she’s not okay with it.”

          “I see...”

          “So what do we do now?”