Chapter Fifty-Three

Look, now this is a good chapter! I love it, I love it, I love it. Writing it was a breeze ;). I hope you like it too!

Everything is coming to a close...

-=-=-=-

          They made their way out as if the Devil himself was chasing them; never stopping to find the right way, or even to catch his breath, Marc led the others through the small corridors underneath the Cathedral and up many stairs. June had taken Maya out of Terrance's arms—he had protested, but every time he glanced at the girl, he stopped from worry. They had to move fast, they couldn't afford for him to halt.

          “We're here,” Marc finally said as they ran up the last of the stairs. He raced through the corridors and kicked down a locked door. The sound was hollow, it echoed through the huge space of the great hall that lay behind it.

          Panting, he paused and looked around. There was no one here, it was safe. They had made it out.

          Aside from the noise they were making, the hall was quiet and dark; only a few candles were lit, and a cold wind moved through the space. A shiver ran up June's spine, though she barely noticed it. Her mind was still at the torture room many floors below them, and her body was slowly coming down from the adrenaline, almost numb.

          “We're... we're safe,” Marc said over his shoulder and started walking to the middle row of the hall, to the exit. June waited for a second to catch her breath, but Terrance followed the soldier, first walking slowly, but then he accelerated and ran towards him. When he caught up with him, he suddenly pushed Marc; the soldier staggered forward, and only barely managed to keep his balance.

          “What the Hell, Terrance?!” he asked.

          “You bastard!” the werewolf yelled. “You bloody bastard! You were going to leave us down there!”

          “I came through, didn't I?”

          Terrance roared. “Came through?! You saved your hide, nothing more! If it hadn't been for June, I'd still be down there!”

          “Yeah, but-” Marc said, but he lunged for him and threw him against a pillar.

          “You wanted to kill me! Did you think I forgot about that? You wanted the priests to torture and kill me!”

          Slowly, Marc got up from the floor. “I never-”

          “Don't you think about lying to June, Marc—you suck at it. Better just admit it: you wanted to kill me without her finding out. That was your plan all along, wasn't it? Wasn't it?!” he yelled.

          He glanced around in frustration, looking for something to hit. Growling, he grabbed one of the long wooden benches and flipped it over. A thundering sound echoed through the hall as it came down on the floor, and he roared.