Chapter Nine

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          They followed the werewolf up the narrow stairs, out of the filthy room. June was glad to be out of there, where they had been standing in mud and garbage and possibly feces. The rest of the building was a lot cleaner, the floors showed not a single spot. She was surprised to find it being marble; the building had seemed very old and a bit ugly and worn-down from the outside, but the interior was actually rather beautiful and expensive. There still hung some kind of repulsive scent though, that made June wish she was not here.

          They followed the guard deeper and deeper into the building; apparently, it was also a lot bigger than she had thought it was. Many corridors went into a lot of different directions. They passed a couple of men on their way, all of them werewolves. They growled at the newcomers, but Terrance ignored them and so did June. She was afraid that if she’d say something, they would attack her. She kept Maya close, for comfort; the little girl held her hand and pinched it whenever she got fearful herself.

          Eventually, they came to a door that was guarded by two more werewolves. Without a word, they moved aside to let them through. Their guide opened the door and announced, “Terrance Longeway, Maya Loup and Sarah and Marc Gormen.”

          Three men that had been leaning over a table, reading a scroll that lay there, looked up. A fourth gave an angry growl. He had been sitting in a chair, but jumped up to shout at the man.

          “I told you to only get Longeway!”

          Although he was actually a lot bigger than this yelling man, the werewolf shrieked and flinched. “I-I am s-sorry sir! He would n-not come on his own.”

          “You’re dismissed.” With a wave of his hand, he sent him away, then turned to Terrance after the door closed. “I take it you are Longeway. Do you have any idea what happens to those who don’t obey my requests?”

          Terrance chuckled, not showing any fear for the man. They were of about the same size and posture, but June noticed that he did not have a tail or ears… and wasn’t wearing a ring either. There was something evil in his eyes, a strange kind of rage that gave her the shivers.

          “You must be Nikolai,” Terrance said and offered him his hand. “I am Terrance Longeway, former alchemist of the Royal Mage. And no, I do not know what happens to those people.”

          “Those wolves end up dinner,” he growled and took the hand he was offered. “Nikolai Clawe, I am running this operation.”

          “Really? You’re running the whole show? Last time I was here, about three years ago, it took six men to keep this pack in check and make sure nothing bad happened. Those days, the pack was too big for just one alpha.” He glanced at the men at the table. They were somewhat older than Nikolai, and kept to the background, not saying a thing, but listening carefully.

          “Well, you’ll find that a lot is different from three years ago,” Nikolai said. “I am the alpha now, and I am making sure that every wolf will be safe. I’ll make sure that the prophecy will be fulfilled.”