Chapter Twenty-Nine

Okay, this is one of the longer chapters (if not the longest, I'm not sure) in this story. Took a while to write it, since I got stuck at least twice. But I muddled through. Hope it's any good though...

Anyway, enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          “You and I need to have a talk?”

          Blake didn't answer her question, but slowly got up and closed the door. He stared at the platter of food for a second, but did not take anything. He sat down on the chair in front of June.

          “What do we need to talk about?” she asked, annoyed, slightly angry even. As he glanced at her though, he could see it wasn't much more than an act. The girl was close to tears.

          He sighed. “Terrance, huh?”

          “Wha-What?”

          “Terrance. What he does. It's a pain, right? Playing with your feelings like that, like he doesn't care.”

          She shrugged, but her gaze was locked on the apple Terrance had left behind. Left behind because he didn't want it... didn't he want her? “He's a bastard sometimes,” she said.

          “Sometimes?” Blake chuckled. “Try most of the time. Really, I am amazed you've been able to stand him for this long.”

          “He was... different, before.”

          “I've heard that before.”

          “Really, he was!” June said. “He was charming and witty and fun. But now, he's too preoccupied to deal with me, and he would rather spend his time with that alchemist. I know he says it's for the job, and it's important—I know that. But...” She sighed. “but I can't help but feel that he's...”

          “What? Uninterested? You feel like he doesn't like you?” Blake asked, then shook his head. “You know, June, I have known Terrance Longeway for a longer time than most people. Longer than the real Immortal Fox did. And I've seen how he was around you in Dew, remember? So please believe me when I tell you that he likes you. He would never have brought you along this far if he didn't. So yeah, he can be a true and utter bastard sometimes, seeing as he knows that he's one Hell of a lot smarter than us all, and isn't afraid to show it. But you just have to try and look past that.”

          “But...” June hesitated.

          “But what?”

          “He's so different now. He wasn't like this last week. What changed?”

          “I don't know. Perhaps it's this place that is getting to him; he constantly needs to watch himself, Maya, you—everybody. And he needs to figure out his next move too, which is near to impossible since he doesn't know what the prophecy says. Not to mention that by now, I suspect Mr. Evangely is turning up the heat, so now more than ever does he need to win the game. Everything is depending on it. And... And how long was it since he last slept?” he asked.