Chapter Twenty-Eight

Hi! New update :) Hope you like it.

Enjoy!

-=-=-=-

          Terrance was waiting in their room; he was sitting at the small desk, reading in the little black book containing Joanne’s notes when the door opened and June entered with Blake and Maya. He looked up and caught the excited Maya that lunged at him, but didn’t smile himself. He didn’t even greet them.

          “How did it go?” he asked, straightforward.

          June shrugged as she sat down on the bed, but Blake answered, “Everything went okay. Our little spy was tested, but not rejected. They used some strange kind of cross—I suspect there’s some strong magic on that thing, because even he reacted to touching it, and he’s a human! Have to keep it in mind.”

          “What does it look like?”

          “Like… a cross. You know. Silver one, but heavy. Few ornaments, pretty thing. Probably real old too.”

          Terrance considered it. “Can you draw it for me? A thing like that, we better keep track of. May come in handy later.”

          Blake nodded. “Sure, I’ll get on that. And what about you? What did you do?”

          “I was with Rebecca. We... we made… progress,” he answered, then gestured to Joanne’s notes. “After that, I though it better to take a little distance; best not to crowd her. So I’ve been reading this thing… Is this really all of Joanne’s notes?” he asked.

          “All that I know of—and trust me, I know everything Joanne kept in her room, because I was always the one to fetch them.”

          “They’re so few.”

          He shrugged. “I don’t think Joanne kept too many notes. She had a good mind and was more than able to use it. Didn’t forget much either. She didn’t need the notes, except when things got difficult.”

          “So you should have brought us the real prophecies, not this thing,” Terrance complained. “These are just scribbles, theories about interpretations, referencing books we don’t have. Not to mention the fact that it’s in a language I can barely read.”

          “I thought it was in Latin,” June said. “I can read that…”

          “I can read Latin fine, June,” Terrance muttered. “But this isn’t just Latin. It’s also ancient Greek and a few other languages Joanne picked up over the ages—and I suspect some of it is just intentional gibberish to confuse anyone sneaking a peek.” He sighed. “Anyway, it’ll be some time before I’ll learn anything useful about the prophecy.”

          “And you’re sure that’s worth your time?” she asked, a little annoyed. “How do you know there’s anything in there about the right prophecy?”