CHAPTER THIRTEEN

《I would tell you that i love you tonight.
But i know that i got time on my side....
What is love If you're not here with me?
What is love if it's not guaranteed?
What is love? Whay is love?...》

Jayson,Jayson,Jayson
She couldnt get her mind off him.He had dropped by to apologize, it seemed, and she had casted him away. She felt terrible for a second there for not seizing the opportunity to mend  things up with her bestie.
Bestie?
What did she know about having a best friend anyway? The first and last was a disaster. Marley. Where could the punkass bitch be?
Who cared?
Definitely not Lucy Smolette.
Back to Jayson. Her mind ran. She sat on  a sofa in the living room, picked up her phone now and then and disappointedly kept it down. She couldn't tell what she was turning into but Jayson had a hand in it. Why did she care?
Bestie...just bestie
Just bestie?
Ofcourse.
She couldn't answer her questions. She stood and sat again and again and again and walked about...
Kate stood at a distance watching her, a tray of freshly made Orange juice in hand. She leaned against the wall and watched her daughter parade to and fro the room.
Kate smiled victoriously.
She was smiling
Why was she smiling?
She had taken a trip to Chicago a couple of weeks back. She went to see an old friend.
Lorraine Deverson. Over tea she told Lorraine about Lucy and how she was going to grow old and die single, she wasn't even sure if the girl could feel again. "Not even a friend. She sweeps everyone outta her side!"
"You know, my boy Jay could befriend her. He's quite lively and could make anyone smile unlike his elder brother." Lorraine said. She always talked over tea.
"How's Steven?"
"Ugh, as he always has been, such a workaholic. I sometimes forget  I have another son other than Jay."
Kate smiled. Steven was quite like Lucy. " Jayson might just suffer from heart attacks and Bipolar disorder when it comes to Lucy.Besides I'm sure he's busy."
"Busy? Who's busy? I certainly am not." Jayson said as he joined the women."Long time aunt."
The guy sat down for lessons.
She was going to introduce him to her but the two had already met over jogging and Jayson had turned his story upside down. Kate played along. What could possibly go wrong?
Kate hadn't the faintest idea of the reasons behind Lucy's worry but that face was not from the recents. Now she pretended to know nothing. The worried face of a mother surfaced as she walked in.
"My dear..."

                        ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤2

She tried his phone, after  a bold decision of course. She decided to take a stroll, wore casual jeans and a vest. Her braids fell to her back and was tied in a pony tail.
She was strolling, she was walking, she was thinking.
Jayson. Ahe just couldn't keep him out. It angered her that her heart had turned a deaf ear to the commands of her mind. When had he come and when had he left footprints? And then he withdrew. Made her appreciate hus absence. She m...mm..missed him.
Couldn't believe it.
Lost in thoughts, She bumped into a skating kid. "Hey, watch it!" He yelled and skated on. She would have pulled him back and make him beg for mercy, but shw just kept going.
By the station she spotted Jayson a distance away. Her was by a vending machine, talking to some guy so familiar. Yeah she knew him alright.
She admired from the distance. The heavenly bliss who was making her walk about in the name of a stroll. He looked like an angel in those clothes, always in white. That was definitely his signature colour. He was talking to the guy in black top and jeans.
She contemplated yelling his name and sorting it out there and then, or ahe could just be Lucy Smolette and walk pass with only a 'hey, I tried phoning' and all with no emotions.
"Jayson!!" She didn't know when that came out.
He paused as though he heard her call, then continued his intimate discussion without so much as turning.
She called to know avail. She was on the other side of the road. When the other guy left, he stood alone. She got tired of praying he'd look her way and began the journey to him. She hastened her pace as she realized he was walking away, walking towards a Jaykraps Automatic brand of sports car. It couldn't be he's, she thought.
To her greatest dismay, he hopped in rode off.
Jayson?
She was gobsmacked. Speechless.  She watched the car ride out of sight.
Was that really Jayson she saw?
She must have been seeing things.

                           ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤3

She laid in bed, a paper and pencil. She was drawing, an hobby she had no interest in lately.Somewhat like Jayson.
She drew his spiky hair style, got the charm in those eyes...it's like they were staring straight at her.
She dropped the pencil and stared closely at the sheet.
I wanna see him
You're becoming weak, you're becoming Eldena!
Her inner thoughts quarreled.
Her eyes were full of tears just sitting there waiting to be dropped.
Lucy Smolette doesn't cry over some dumbass guy.
"What's happening?" She whispered to herself.
She immediately wiped off those tears.She had this lump in her throat that needed tears to go away buh no, she'd cry no more.
Her phone buzzed, then rang.  She held it up to her face. It was Jayson. Finally, after a week or so, he decided to phone.
She'd called and called and left messages and he hadn't ince responded. He was suddenly calling.
She stared blankly at the phone, wondering what to say, whether or not to pick it up, wether or not to apologize.
Apologize? Apologizing can be hard  work.
Before she could decide, he'd hung up. Oh how she felt? Terrible! Would he call again? Probably not. She angrily threw the phone at the other side of her king size bed and it fell off to the floor. She screamed and hit her fist hard on the bed.The tears...all the pillows reached to the floor.
Her phone rang again. As if stung by a bee, she dived to the floor to take hold of the phone. It was Jayson again. She'd think of what to say when on the line. She answered the call.
"Jayson?" Her voice couldn't hide the stress.
"Why're you crying?" He asked on the other end of the line.
"Crying? I'm not crying." She said and wiped her tears, trying to fix her tone.
"You're not? Okay then, bye"
"What the..."
"Try getting some fresh air, out of the comfort of your room, goodbye." Her said and hung up with not much as a hint of guilt.
"I...Jayson? Jayson!!" The tears flooded back with super speed.  "Damn!" She sweared out loud. Moving to and fro until she was at the door.
A knock, someone was at the door.
"What!!" She yelled in rage.
"Thought I told you to get some fresh air." She could hear Jayson say outside. She flung open the door and there he stood, not an inch further. She stared at him. Mirage or real? Who cared?
She raised her right index and touched the tip of his nose, quite real.
He smiled at her act of confirmation. He took a step backwards after a glance at her. He grimaced.
She didn't divert her eyes from his face.
"Woah!You look" he settled."...a mess."
He said. Her braids were untied and her eyes stained.
She hugged him tight, so tight he could barely breathe, then shamefully retreated after she realized how quick that was. She pushed her braids aback, looking at the floor.
He raised her chin and made her stared into his eyes.
He smiled.
She feigned the Lucy Smolette face.
So fake.
He spread his arms open. "I miss you too." He said with slight giggles. She'd said nothing but her actions said it all.
She took the green light. She literally jumped on him and he caught her in his hug.her cheek rested on his chest. She could feel his heart beat.
Alas!
A long satisfying hug.
She was satisfied.
Oh Jayson.