CHAPTER TWELVE

"Love is patient, Love is kind.
Love is Cupid's wings painted blind."

Lucy sat behind her desk at the office, documents to sign.She took short glimpses at the phone whenever she heard a buzz...disappointed each time realising none was a text from dear old Bestie.
It had been a week since he phoned her.Their last encounter was the incident at the park...

After he walked her out of the park and they rode in her black Mercedes Benz, he noticed the unease on her face."What's the matter, bestie?" He asked.
She silently shook her head in denial.
" Who the hell was that guy anyway? You know him somewhere as he claimed?." He asked again. She paid deaf ears to his questions and focused on the steering. "Bestie...say something. You know, it seemed like if I hadn't shown up that guy was gonna eat you if you didn't accept his accusations.Why did..."
"Look, if you have nothing reasonable to say, just shut up, okay? The last thing I need right now is you blabbing around in my car for saving the damn day." She cut in rudely. "Shit!" She cursed beneath her breath.
He was quiet for a moment.When she made a bend, he broke the silence. All he did was ask,to show he  cared and she reprimanded him like he was some lousy kid. He was fed up with her rude and snobbish attitude towards people. He had real stuff he could have done other than intervene in her life at the moment.
"Pull over." He said calmly. Anger in his eyes and impatience in his soul but the words just seemed to escape calmly. She ignored his command and kept driving. "I said pull over!!"
No one commands Lucy Smolette. She kept driving.
No one pays deaf ears to Jayson D-Deverson.He opened the door while the car was still in motion. Getting the idea he was going to get out whether or not she stopped,she immediately pulled over. She angrily turned to him. "What the fuck where you gonna do? Jump out?"
"As if you care.You don't always have to snob at others and be so damn rude.You can also be a friend. You're one in a million, but sadly that million is better than you'll be. If you need a friend, call me up,'cause right now I think you're the only friend you need. Until then, Lucy Smolette." He said and slammed the door when he got out.
He walked a distance and turned to her.She was seated in her car, he walked away in disappointment.She watched in dismay as he walked away.

And there she was, seated behind her desk, thinking.
Where could he be?
Why hadn't he phoned?
Was he still mad?
Was she to call?- Question.
Yes she was-Answer.
And she was to apologize too- Mission Impossible.
But her conscience wouldn't let her rest. She was astonished to find she still had  a conscience...and it worked perfectly. It had disappeared long ago and refused to return. Justin Anderson had lost his head when she publicly insulted and refused his wedding proposal. He hadn't been seen since then and rumours had it he was locked up because he was becoming psycho. It was all over the news. "He's a man; he should be strong,right? I wouldn't care less how many of them run mad when I'm done." She had said.
So why then was she disturbed? Why then did she care that Jayson was hurt by her actions? Wasn't he a man?
Something's wrong, Lucy.
Something's really wrong.
Her phone rang, It was a strange number.Maybe it was Jayson. Hope surfaced.Maybe he wasn't mad after all and she was killing her head over nothing. Maybe he wanted to apologize instead. Maybe he used a strange number thinking she wouldn't pick he's. Maybe...
"Jayson?" She immediately called out.
"Eldena, I..."
Oh Jesus.
"What the blazing fuck do you want from me? How'd you even g..."
"Look, I just wanna have a talk with you."
"I'mma make things clear. I am not Eldena.if I were Eldena,which I'm not, then fine. As Eldena, your long lost gullible, stupid, naive friend, I hereby cast you out of my life for good."
"Eldena I..."
She ended the call.She flung her phone at an angle. She let her head fall to the desk, not caring about the pain it cost her forehead.
There was a knock at the door. It was Porsha.
"Go away!" She ordered.
"Lucy..."
"I said leave!! Do you hate your damn job?" She screamed and Porsha sighed and left, others would have scrammed.
Lucy looked around, sighed and buried her face once again in the desk, disappointed.
Jayson Deverson.

                      ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤2

Porsha bounced out of the main building towards the lawn where Jayson stood,waiting patiently. He wore white matching track suit with parallel green lines on each side, white sneakers and to match band around his head. He held a lovely pink plastic bag in one hand and  in the other,a bouquet of white roses.
"Where's she?" He asked when Porsha arrived, glancing behind to sight an imaginary Lucy. He was disappointed at seeing Porsha return alone.
"Sorry Sir..."
"Jay"
"Well, Sorry Jay, she's not coming. She wouldn't even listen." Said Porsha, eyes on the lovely flowers Jayson held. This was the first time she actually spoke to him though he'd been coming over frequently.
"Is she angry?" Jayson asked.
"Angry? Oh that's an underestimation of word, she's from what I could depict,furious, oh she's mad alright...and she ain't in the mooda see anyone. Whadaya think's wrong with her?" She asked, then judging from the content of his hands,she knew he had a hand in it.
He shook his head in denial. He was smiling earlier but then he was sad, not sad...furious too. She had no right to cast him out when she was at fault.How dare she? And to think he had come to apologize when he had no fault in it.Why should he care anyway? She didn't.
He handed the roses to Porsha.
"You these lovely flowers bear the risk of being dumped, right?" She said.
"That's if you'd dump them."
"I would never, they're lovely."
"Then it's yours. I dont entertain roses to much." He said. "You're right, she'd probably dump them."
Disappointment surfaced.
Anger ruled, but he would never vent his anger on someone else.
"An' the plastic?" She asked looking at the plastic in his hand.
"I'll do with it as I please." He smiled at her and began his steps away.
"I'll tell her you dropped by."
He paused. "Don't bother. She wouldn't care anyway." He turned to leave.
"Bye."
He didn't respond. She watched him leave. He hopped into his Abraham car and rode off. She wondered how someone so goodlooking, handsome and expensively clothed all the time could drive in...that.His clothes where obviously more valuable than that energy forsaken car.
Did no one question that?

                          ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤3

She walked down the hallway, bag in hand and head lifted with pride. If slouching in your office was a crime, she she had already gotten away with it. One could never imagine.
Porsha met up with her just a few steps before the exit. "Jayson was here."
Lucy paused.Jayson was here?
"Where's he?" She found herself anxious about it. Her eyes glancing about.
"Don't sweat it, he left, mad and disappointed at you for casting him out."
"What!" She yelled. "Who casted him out?"
"Uhh...you did."
"I casted you out!!not him. That'll be the last person I'd cast away right now!" Don't know hiw that came out.
"Jesus Christ." Porsha was surprised at how much Lucy wanted Jayson ariund at the moment.
"Oh don't you dare 'Jesus' me.What'd he say?"
"Nothing really...he brought somethings for you but took them along."
"Including the flowers you got there?"
Porsha hesitated."y...yes"
Lucy sighed. "Gimme that!" She seized the bouquet and walked out to her car.
Porsha stared in awe.
Lucy Smolette.
Was that Lucy Smolette?