CHAPTER SIX

Flashback

Eldena had never been herself since she had bumped into Marshall.She was always absent-minded, day dreaming.
       Marshall, Marshall, Marshall-All Eldena could think of.What he had done to gain her affection no one could tell, not even him. This wasn't love at first sight, she'd seen him on campus time without number. It was rather love at first encounter...and he left a souvenir in her heart.
        And being the ambitious girl that she was, she herself being friends with Marshall. He wasn't too excited about friendship but her wasn't the rude type, he never shunned ger away. Eldena saw in him a guy who was caring and would never allow a tear roll down her eyes and she felt he would encourage her dreams.but those were just her thoughts.
           Marshall was far from that.He was caring and all but not as Eldena had imagined.and he was the reason why she wore sad faces most of the time and hidden tears somewhere behind her smiles at him.but we can't blame him, he knew nothing of about her feelings.
           Not until the day she busted  herself to him when they laid under the enormous willow tree in the park."I...I love you,'shall." She said happily.at that point she couldn't think of any negative response coming from him.ahe was the brave girl who took a step in her love life. Everything always turned out right to Eldena; except for her parent's marriage of course.
"Uh...i-love-ya-too?" He responded in a sort of confused manner.Her face brightened on hearing that.
"Really?"
"Uhmm sure...I mean we're friends rights? Why won't I love ya? Friends gotta...love each other, you know...in a...friendly way." He made himself clear.The moment was quite awkward and weird. Eldena was going to burst to tears on hearing that...but Marley's words came in 'conceal, don't feel, then let itbout when they're gone.'
She couldn't wait till he left...
"Is anything the matter, Eldie? Why the long face? Don't tell me you're getting overly dramatic." Marshall asked.
     She forced a smile." 'cause  not...I'm glad we're friends." She held close her clutch bag. "I eh...I gotta go now" she stood and left without looking back...the hardest part of walking away.
     The easiest thing was raining down all the tears on Marley's shoulder. She cried for hours without uttering a word.
      Marley could take no more of that. "You know what? You're a big time weakling. I dont see why some guy's petty message would make you slouch this way.you gotta get up and stand for yourself,Eldie, you don't need anyone to make you complete. You were this way when you had an argument with Kevin and later Spenser didn't feel the same way, then Jacob said he wouldn't be caught dead with you again and now this? Oh good God!  Come to your senses.you'll get over him like you always do." She sighed "And when you do, please don't slouch like this over another.your heart only has so much to go around, if you let this useless guys take a huge chunk of it, what's left for those who truely care? Guys will always be guys.you'll never meet a guy who's different." All Eldena did was shed more tears.
She was a coward and couldn't face her feelings and control them.Gullible, naive, always believing in all good things come to those who wait...this life is all about grabbing or moving forward...no time to wait, no time for love.

                     ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Kate Falon was no better than Eldena. But she wasn't a mother and that title came with respect for one's self and control of emotions.
       Kate worked as a waitress and cook in a ghetto bar nearby, where all the street men came for dinner.with that income, she singlehandedly raised her daughter into the young lady she was.Kate had encounters with numbers of financially stable men, one of which she actually grew to love so much, but she wasn't gullible anymore. She turned him down when he asked for her hand.She wanted to focus on her daughter even if it meant growing up alone.The love of a mother.which asshole would do that?
"Oh my...Kate." Rhodesia, her friend and colleague spoke to her. She worked in Ma Corazon restau with Kate.Ma Corazon, some old, wretched, rugged place, a nasty site which Kate and Rhodesia struggled to tidy everyday-to no avail.Who gave a shit to how old the place was? It brought income. "Billy Roberts? You're so lucky, girl...he actually proposed to you." Rhodesia said, happy for her friend's new found fortune.Everyone seemed to care only about the money. "Look, you're gonna make me your bride's maid okay? No questions."
Kate smiled wanly."I...I turned him down. I just can't marry...atleast not now."
"You stupid girl! Gosh! You had your hands on him and  you lettem go?how could you miss such and opportunity?"
Rhodesia yelled.
"Hey, watch it...it's ma decision, not yours."
"And a stupid one at that."
"Whadaya suggest I do? Marry him? What about  my Eldie?"
Rhodesia sighed "take her with you, then."
"I can't"
"Girl you just missed a paid ticket to luxury." She sighed and said underneath her breath "crazy bitch girl"

                  ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

When minutes turn to hours, hours to days, days to weeks, weeks to months...it was the end of her final year. People had change and people had learnt to move on, Eldena had, with the work of Marley of course. She insulted and sweared the feelings right out of Eldena. "You're lusting, that's all it is...lust! You'll meet the one for you someday then you can love him as he loves you, but for now, forget Marshall, he's done for."
        She looked forward to that prince charming that would come her way...the real one.She assisted her mum at work and assisted her with the gisting too.but both ladies kept a secret from each other. Kate would never say anything about her suitors as she felt Eldena would feel sad and abandoned. Eldena on the other hand wouldn't voice out her inner loneliness and and need for a complete family...what delicious irony.
           Graduation came and past like the wind. College was calling out.what college? Any girl who wanted a bright future would die to go to Havard, Oxford or Cambridge university. But with no finances, one had to settle for the affordable.

                     ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Dreams like hers didn't actually tie with current world around her.Going to the university was the second worst mistake she'd made...eating mayonnaise was the first.
         College wasn't as dreamy as she felt it would be. She could barely make friends or talk to anyone. Golden College was hell."don't worry, Eldie, I'm sure you'll make friends." Said some orange haired janitress that seemed to have noticed her loneliness. That was assuring.
          Months and months, she met Marley again, and then came Iradessa, and Fawn. She could confide in those three. They were all Marley's type of girl but she didn't mind, she never minded anyway.
           That was a good start, friends were what kept her going in the university, until...

----------------------------------------------------------

Wishing all the mother's out there a happy mother's day...and fyi, I detest mayonnaise just like Lucy ;)