Chapter Forty

Thomas could hear the erratic breathing of the cranks, their eyes were the only things clear in the dark surroundings.

He dragged the others closer to the campfire, tightening his hold of the bat. "No sudden moves." He whispered to his friends. Malia narrowed her eyes, Thomas could see her restraint. The werewolves claws grew again.

The cranks circled them, not making a move to attack. Thomas felt an ache in his chest, he recognised some of the cranks. "They're not attacking? They can't be that far gone then..." Newt whispered to Thomas.  He nodded slowly.

Lydia gradually looked around, Thomas knew that look by now. She had an idea.

"Any time now Lydia. We'd appreciate a way out of this." Liam spoke, snarling at the cranks nearby.

Lydia bobbed her head to her right, where a small gap between the group of cranks leading to the perimeter fence. The barbed wire at the top looked sharp, the fence itself looked rusted. Could they manage the climb?

Everyone else seemed to catch on, Scott and Malia moved first, while Liam resided at the back alongside Minho, both ready to fight against any cranks.

Thomas grabbed onto Newt's arm, nudging him forwards as they dove out of reach from a crank. Thomas pushed Newt onto the fence, then he helped Minho.

His blood froze at the sound of a cry behind him, Lydia was pulled by a crank, her mouth was open wide as she let out a banshee scream. Blood and bone flew through the air as the crank's head exploded.

Lydia shoved the other cranks away, rushing towards Thomas. The others were still scrambling up the fence, the cranks were screaming and moving closer.

Thomas didn't want to risk losing the time they already didn't have, he wrapped an arm around Lydia and pushed her up onto the fence. She uttered a quick thanks and started pulling herself up.

Thomas didn't want to leave his only weapon behind, he tossed it up at Minho, who held onto the fence ready to vault over the top of it.

Thomas leapt up. His fingers grabbed onto the rusted wire. He grimaced as rust flaked away beneath his palms as he climbed, the cranks were below him.

He slipped his foot into a foothold in the metal fence, he faltered as he heard the small wire snap. He pulled himself aside, avoiding any other fragile holds.

Glancing up, he saw Lydia swing herself over the barbed wire. Her clothes ripped a little as she dropped down, Scott catching her.

Thomas followed suit, gritting his teeth as he felt the barbed wire slice at his leg, the trouser material getting caught in the wire.

Thomas clung onto the fence, he was sideways, kicking his leg at the wire. The fence was shaking, the cranks were slamming themselves into the fence. Thomas reached up, ripping the stuck material off. Letting out a small gulp as his land slipped off the fence. He was plummeting from 20 feet above the ground.

Whilst falling, the air moved around him, fingers brushed against him as he fell. He involuntarily shuddered, Cranks...

He connected with something hard as he hit the ground.