Chapter Nineteen

Thomas blinked, Lydia's statement surprised him. He spoke. "I don't understand. How do you know?"

Lydia looked at him, her eyes seem to look into his soul which caused him to shudder. She whispered. "I'm a banshee."

Thomas recoiled from her, having no belief in the paranormal. "I don't believe you," He said. "Prove it to me."

"It's true." She shrugged. "I just can't use it on command. You see Stiles, I know things. It's like deja vu, or a dream. I'm not sure how you're here but you are not Stiles."

Thomas gaped at Lydia. He stuttered, "W-What? Lydia... Are you alright?"

Lydia's eyes rolled into the back of her head and she fell backwards into a metal trolley. Thomas grabbed her before she could hit the floor. 

He shook her shoulders, "Lydia? Lydia! Wake up!" He lifted her up and carried her to a nearby cot, his muscles strained.

He felt unfit, Thomas knew he could have managed normally, he did enough in the Safe Haven that added to his strength.

He looked down at his body and realised he was a little smaller than he remembered. "This isn't exactly me, it's in my head..." He mumbled, walking to the door.

He stuck his head out into the busy hallway and shouted, "Someone get the nurse! Lydia's fainted!" He noticed at the mention of Lydia that many people, mainly boys and freshmen, hurried off to find the nurse. Thomas sighed, "Lydia sure is popular. Better check on her."

He closed the door and walked back over to her, Lydia's breathing was erratic; she seemed feverish.

Thomas's brow furrowed, he grabbed a thermometer and stuck it in her ear, a few seconds later it beeped. He checked the digital screen. 38 degrees Celsius. "Not good..."

He eyed the door wearily, it had been five minutes and no sign of the nurse. Where was she?

Lydia began to shake, Thomas gulped and tried to cool her down with a rag and cold water. It didn't help.

Twenty minutes later there was still no sign of the nurse. He began to panic. Lydia was getting worse and he had no idea what was wrong with her. Getting stung by a griever seemed better than this, Thomas gave up panicking and opened his mouth to speak. "SOMEONE HELP! Get a teacher or something!" His voice echoed around the room, to his surprise it was the loudest he had ever shouted.

Footsteps sounded outside like a herd of elephants. Thomas braced himself for a rabble to come running inside the  infirmary.

The handle turned and the door swung open. Shadows danced along the floor, with a glance at the door Thomas noted many people hovering by the door, concerned looks on their faces.

A teacher strode into the room and blew a whistle. "Get your asses out of here and to class! I'll deal with this!" The teacher yelled at the people outside.

The teacher, Thomas realised with a little dread, was Coach.