Chapter Fourteen

Newt heard Malia growl beside him as guards stormed into the hallway. The sounds were deafening as a guard fired a shot towards Newt. Time seemed to slow down as the bolt flashed with electricity- it was a stun gun.

Within two milliseconds he was on the floor, having been tackled by Malia. Argent shouted at them, his voice barely audible through the sounds of shots being fired. Malia held onto Newt and seemed to flip him over her, with her paranormal strength, Newt rolled as he hit the floor, going through a door.

He stood up, whirling around to look where he was. The door swung open again, Newt noted the number written on the door, his eyes widened. They had found Scott's room.

Malia shouted at him, snapping him out of his surprise. "Argent can hold them off but we don't have long. Find him!"

Newt gave her a curt nod and walked over to a cubicle in the right corner of the room, he yanked the curtain open and checked the bed. Empty.

Another cubicle lay opposite. Newt stormed over and pulled open the curtain. A boy lay sleeping on the bed. Somehow oblivious to the chaos outside.

Newt glanced to Malia, who was guarding the door. "This him?" She nodded. Newt responded. "Okay." He slapped Scott across the face, in an attempt to wake him up.

Nothing. Not even a flinch. Newt huffed in annoyance, he was losing patience. "I don't have time for this!" Newt balled his hand into a fist and swung it towards Scott's face. Seconds before impact a hand shot up, an iron-like grip held his hand, almost crushing it. Scott opened his eyes.

"I'm up. Now what do you need help with? Your heart's beating in a panic." Scott spoke, releasing Newt's hand. Newt sighed, "We need your help, Thomas- Stiles, is in some sort of coma. We've gotta get him out of here. But there's too many guards."

Scott ran a hand through his hair. "Right then-" Scott paused, his head tilted as though he was listening to something. "Who's outside?" Newt opened his mouth to speak but Malia cut him off. "Argent, and about half a dozen guards, if anyone's still alive."

Scott seemed unfazed by the comment as he stood up. Newt stared at him, surprised by how quickly he was coming to terms with what was happening.

"So, what's the plan Mr Alpha?" Newt's tone had an undercurrent of sarcasticness, which Scott seemed to ignore. He spoke, "We find a safe way to get Stiles out, wake him up, and end this nightmare once and for all."

Newt rolled his eyes, "Great. We're all bloody inspired. Let's use a dumbwaiter and save Thomas." Newt couldn't help correcting Scott, he didn't care if his real name was Stiles, Thomas was his best friend. So he would be called Thomas.

Malia stifled a laugh, as did Scott who turned to Newt. "Very funny. I'm guessing your the one that's been with Stiles in the experiment. And before you ask- I did my research. I came to find you guys with Malia here, then we got caught by some guards."

The sound of gunshots died down outside, Newt stared at the door, "Is Argent okay out there? I can't hear any shots." He walked up to the door and placed his hand on the handle, twisting it open. He pushed it open slightly, before letting out a shout when something slammed into the door, a person, their face half smashed in and caked with blood.

Newt slammed the door shut, leaning against it, trying to keep it shut. The person screamed at Newt, clawing at the door. There was a crash followed by silence. Newt dared to glance at the window, blood trickled down the glass surface.

Malia hurried over to Newt, giving him a curious look. She muttered, "Whatever that was- I think there's more. I can hear them. Scott, help! I can't hear Argent either..."

Scott sighed and strode over to the door in a few steps, he yanked it open and walked blatantly into the hallway. Newt swiftly followed. The hallway was littered with bodies and pools of blood. More bodies than the original number of guards. Newt noted a few of the bodies wore hospital gowns, their veins were ink and spider-like. Argent appeared from a nearby room, splattered in blood. His black armour seemed intact. He wasn't injured.

Scott spoke, "How far away is the basement?" Malia paused for a moment before responding, "Not far. I saw a sign on my way here. So if we go to the south wing of this place we should walk right to the basement." Newt looked at Malia, he was impressed how she knew he way around here already.

Scott seemed to be determined when he spoke, "We take out the guards, break our way into the basement. Sounds simple right?" Newt resisted the urge to add a sarcastic comment, knowing it was a rhetorical question.

Scott began to walk, towards the south wing Newt thought. Swiftly he followed, his left side flanked by Malia and the right was Argent.

Newt felt a little out of place, but adrenaline fuelled his veins. It kept him going. They encountered thirty guards in total, and fifteen cranks. The sudden appearance of the zombie-like people concerned Newt, he knew they were in the desert, but the question still opposed him- Why would WCKD contain Cranks? They were beyond help and incureable. Only the lower stages of people affected by the Flare were able to be cured.

Cured- Newt felt a pang of sadness. He was one of the people that had become infected with the flare. He wasn't immune like the others. He was the control variable in the trials. Newt swallowed bile that had risen up his throat, he had almost killed Thomas. He couldn't bear to have done such a terrible thing- killing his best friend was unimaginable. That was why he had stabbed him self with the last ounce of self control he had.

Newt zoned out, his footsteps fading in his ears as he turned a corner...