Chapter Fifteen

Thomas sat at a table opposite Scott, watching him space out. Thomas smirked and shovelled a forkful of food into his mouth. "Scott?" His voice was muffled as he chewed. He swallowed and snapped his fingers in front of Scott's face. "Scott!"

Scott blinked, startled. He turned to Thomas, "What? I wasn't doing anything-" He broke off mid-sentence. Thomas considered slapping Scott, but he restrained himself when he realised Scott hadn't spaced out, he was simply staring at the new girl who had walked into the room. Beside her was a girl that caught his eye with red hair that tumbled down to nearly her elbows. Thomas felt himself staring as she talked to Allison, the way she acted it seemed so familiar.

Thomas blinked as some memories came flooding back. That girl was Lydia... He had been in love with her since third grade and he still was. Thomas seemed to forget about Teresa as Lydia and him made eye contact. Only for a brief moment as she gestured to the tables.

Thomas snapped out of his almost trance- he turned to Scott and punched him on the shoulder happily. "Dude! Lydia looked at me!" Scott mumbled, "Uh-huh..."

Thomas grinned, his feelings for Lydia were unlike anything he had ever felt before. They were familiar and old. He had liked her for years. He realised Scott couldn't stop staring at Allison, with a sigh he shouted. "Hey Allison! Wanna sit with us?"

She looked at us and smiled, nodding. Scott snapped out of his own daydream and gave Thomas a look, "What did you do that for?!" He grumbled, quickly putting a grin on his face as Allison came and sat down opposite him.

Thomas noticed Lydia approaching their table, he coughed and kicked his feet up on the bench opposite, beneath the table.

Lydia made her way over to Allison, a hand on her hip. She spoke. "I'll see you later, don't be too long." She looked down at Scott, barely looking at Thomas.

Thomas moved to lean backwards, but his feet slipped off the bench, causing him to tumble backwards off of his seat, hitting the floor with a thud.

He heard Lydia exhale, almost as though she was bored. "Allison sweetie, don't hang around with these losers too long okay?" Thomas heard Allison mumble a quick "Yes."

Thomas looked up, catching a glimpse of Lydia as she tossed her hair over her shoulder before walking off. He noticed Scott trying not to laugh at him sprawled on the floor. "What- What now?.." Thomas stood up, before sitting back down. His tailbone hurt a little, he had clearly hit the floor harder than he had originally believed.

Scott grinned at Allison as he spoke. "So, how are you liking Beacon Hills so far?" Allison nodded, "It's alright. But it seems so new and big..."

Thomas quickly ate his lunch, wanting to ask Allison a very important question. "So, how's Lydia? Is she still with Jackson?" Scott gave Thomas a look. He shrugged it off and waited for Allison to respond. She smiled. "She's okay. I think she likes having someone to show around. But when it comes to this Jackson guy, I have no idea. I haven't even seen him. Lydia doesn't talk about him that much."

Thomas felt his heart drop a little, as he mumbled. "She never even notices me..." He felt a pair of eyes burning into his head, he looked up to see Scott giving him a sympathetic look. He smiled half-heartedly as he commented. "She'll notice you eventually. Speaking of which, when's her birthday again?"

He spoke without missing a beat, "22nd November! Still not enough time to find a good present." Allison laughed, finding his comment funny. "Well, she did invite me to go bowling with her and Jackson. I need someone to join me else I can't really play."

Thomas kicked Scott's ankle under the table causing him to wince and answer within a few beats. "I'll come if you want. I can show you how to get there if you like. What time?"

Allison smiled, putting down her half-eaten sandwhich. When she had the time to eaten that, Thomas didn't know. Allison hesitated for a moment, unsure.

A voice chimed in from his right, he turned to see Lydia smiling sweetly at them. Her eyes were giving Scott an icy glare. She added, "9pm tomorrow night. BH Bowling Valley. Don't be late." Her last sentence was clipped as she spun around and walked off.

Thomas laughed awkwardly, running a hand through his hair. "I'm grounded so I can't exactly come. Not sure I was invited either way." Scott laid a hand on Thomas's arm, smiling. "I would have found a way for you to be there dude. Don't worry about that."

Allison reassured Thomas. "If you want, I could get Lydia to invite you. I've only been here a few hours and I know a few tricks to get her to do things. Make her think it's her idea." Thomas shook his head, "It's fine. My dad would kill me if I didn't stay at home. I'm in enough trouble as it is. Thanks though." He vaguely remembered getting into a lot of trouble, then being shouted at by his dad.

Thomas knew he could go with them if he wanted, but he decided against it. Tiredness weighed down on him like an anchor, his eyelids drooped when he put his tray and food away. He hurried to the bathroom.

The dimly lit room was empty, he sighed in relief as he trudged over to the sink. Turning on the tap, he splashed his face with water. The water felt like an icy clap in his face, shocking him into waking up.

"Just a little longer then I can go home..." He scolded himself. The Safe Haven was his home. Well, it would be if Newt was there. He missed his best friend.

He stared at himself in the mirror, his hands gripping the sink so hard his knuckles turned white. He thought angrily, Why did WCKD have to take everything from him? Why did they have to let Newt die?

Anger flared up inside him as he raised his fist and punched the mirror. The reflection of him shattered, glass flew everywhere. His fist felt numb. He looked up as the bathroom door was thrown open. Lydia stood there staring at him.