Chapter Six

Newt's hands felt raw with rope burn as he slowly climbed down the side of the building. The walls were made of stone and glass.

Newt's head ached from slipping many times and hitting his head. So far he had been lucky, avoiding people and remaining out of site as he scaled the building.

Newt's arms had grown tired, barely able to support himself any longer. He propped his feet up on a stone ledge. The length of bed sheets had almost run out.

He glanced around, the wind blowing his sandy hair out of his eyes. He looked into the glass wall closest.

There were rows of empty beds surrounding the walls. A large table was situated in the centre of the room.

Newt let out a long sigh. The winds were picking up. With a glance over his shoulder he looked into the scorch.

There was nothing in sight but sand for miles. Newt blinked. He felt unsure why there would be a working building within the middle of nowhere.

Lowering himself onto the ledge, he elbowed the glass again. It cracked a little. Newt tried again, this time the window smashed open. He winced, knowing anyone could be alerted from the noise.

Quietly, he crept into the window. Releasing the sheet and he rolled inside onto one of the beds.

Newt slid off the bed. Running a hand through his hair. "Bloody hell, where are the rest of the shuck-faces?" He mumbled.

Cautiously, he approached the door and looked out of the rectangular window in the centre.

People dressed in white labcoats hurried in various direction. Newt's eyes strained as he tried to look for anything that could give him directions.

There was nothing but screens and tablets everywhere. Newt noted doctors carrying tablets and clipboards.

He rubbed his arm as he tried to think. He knew he had to find a way back to Thomas and the others. When a doctor passed by the door, Newt opened it and grabbed the doctor. Placing his hand around her mouth he dragged her into the room and closed the door.

Newt released her and blocked the door. The doctor stared at him. "Newt, y-you're not supposed to be awake yet. You need to go back to bed..." She had a calm tone. Newt ignored her comments and swiped the tablet from her hang.

To his right was a small beside table with a syringe. Newt had no idea what was in it, but he hoped it was only something that would knock the doctor unconscious.

He picked it up and stabbed it into the woman's neck, pressing the plunger down. The woman groaned before falling limply to the floor.

Newt sighed and scrolled through the tablet. He found a folder labelled Patient Files.

Newt opened it and began scrolling through the names. Newt's eyes widened he spotted the name Thomas. Glancing at the doctor's ID card, Newt recognised the organisation. His eyes narrowed when he realised he was in a WCKD laboratory, he had to be at least.

If Thomas' name was on that list, then he was there too. A spark of hope lit up within Newt, he would be able to see his best friend again.

He decided he would need the tablet to navigate his way through the building. So he stuffed it inside his jacket and slipped out of the doors.

He had timed his exit right so there were no people around to spot him. He kept his head down and made his way to a stairway. Using the map on the tablet.

According to his file, Thomas was in lab 104. Newt frantically scrolled through the map. He let out a small yelp as he collided with the stair bannister. Newt had found where Thomas was at least.

Newt made his way into a hallway. There were voices getting louder as people approached. He dove into the room nearest.

He stumbled as he quietly closed the door behind him. Ducking down beneath the window, as the footsteps and voices faded.

Newt turned around to examine his surroundings. He paled at what he saw. Children were hooked up to what looked like machines. They looked lifeless except for their chests rising and falling.

Newt tapped frantically on the tablet, pulling up the building plan. He saw he was in room 104.

Newt scrambled to his feet, dropping the tablet. As he looked around the aisles of kids.

Newt quietly called out Thomas' name. "Thomas? Where are you? Answer me you shank!" He turned the corner and began walking down the next aisle.

Thomas was to his right, mumbling things under his breath. Newt approached. "Tommy? What have they done to you?.."

He shook Thomas' shoulders, which led to Thomas groaning and mumbling a word. Newt strained to hear it. "Scott?.. What's a Scott?.."