Chapter Thirty Four

Thomas leant his head against the window, the sounds of the engine lulling him to sleep. His thoughts swirled around his head, Did I make a mistake? Is Newt not into me that way? He slammed his head against the window in frustration. He took a risk and he knew it.

He looked to Newt, who was dozing alongside Minho. Newt had circled under his eyes, his face looked shallow. A twinge of concern ate at Thomas. It took a toll on him, first getting infected, then the incident... Then rescuing me.

Thomas sighed, sitting up in his seat. "I'm not going to sleep at this rate, too much going on." He mumbled.

He leant forward and tapped on Scott's shoulder, the taller boy looked back at gave him a tired grin. "Can't sleep? Well I don't think we're too far away now. Speaking of sleep, I could do with a nap." Scott chuckled. Thomas opened his mouth before thinking, "I can take over if you want. So you can rest."

A part of him felt relief as Scott agreed, slowly stopping the truck in the middle of the desert. Scott left the driver's seat, stepping outside momentarily. Thomas did the same, taking his place behind the wheel. Within moments they continued going.

Everyone else had fallen asleep in the truck, looking in the wing mirror, he saw Malia, Liam and Argent resting. He turned his attention back to the tablet, which Lydia had placed on the dashboard, with a makeshift pencil and tape stand to hold it up. He squinted.

Faintly he could see lines- Roads? Thomas thought, the map said the journey would only last another hour. Though there was no one awake, Thomas could still feel the tension in the air. He kept looking back at Newt in the rear view mirror, his eyes faintly noting the way his eyes flicked every so often. Or the way his mouth hung open a little as he breathed.

Thomas shook his head, trying to get his thoughts out of his head. He couldn't help but think of Newt. He's been there for me, he's always been my best friend. Could we ever be more?

Thomas gazed longingly at Newt in the mirror. Taking his attention off the desert for a split second. His eyes darted back to the road, as something caught his eyes. A black blur was rushing towards them. At inhuman speeds. Why doesn't that surprise me. Thomas thought.

The blur was coming closer, heading directly for the front of the truck. Thomas swerved to the side, trying his best to clear a path.

His eyes widened as the blur became more visible. It had a human form, but it's skin was red raw, with patches missing. Thomas slammed on the brakes as it plowed into the driver's door, with such force the truck toppled over onto the roof. The door was dented inwards, smashing against Thomas's ankle and the pedal. He screamed, the impact had woken everyone else up.

He prayed the others in the open back had managed to avoid being hurt, especially Argent. The crash had knocked Lydia out, her head lying against a cracked window, blood trickling down. Minho was struggling, his belt was stuck. Thomas couldn't feel his ankle, the pain was numbed slightly. Scott began slamming his feet against the door in an attempt to open it.

Newt was scrambling forward towards Thomas, he seemed unhurt. Thomas's attention remained on the outside. The person was circling back. They approached Thomas's door and began to pull it open, with bony gnarled fingers. He heard Scott curse behind him, "Jennifer?"

Thomas felt Jennifer's hands wrap around his arm, claw like nails biting into his skin as she tried to pull him away. Newt screeched behind him and wrapped his arms around Thomas's stomach. Newt spoke. "Get your bloody hands off of him! I don't know what the hell you are but you can stay away!"

Thomas felt some ring wrap around his throat. A pole of some sort. The metal twisted around his neck, bending and shaping to Jennifer's will. Thomas felt himself being choked, his air supply being cut off and he was helpless. Newt clung on to him tightly, refusing to let Jennifer drag him away. Newt mumbled in Thomas's ear. "I will never let you go. I love you Tommy..."