Chapter Twenty Nine

Newt grabbed Minho and began to drag him out of the room and up the stairs. Minho pushed him off. "Hey-Hey! What are ya doin'? You haven't gone mad again have you?" Newt shook his head. Pointing a thumb up the stairs. "You're coming to help me free Tommy. He's stuck in this shuck place. And I need another set of hands just in case."

Minho nodded. "I knew he was here. I tracked him as best I could..." Newt shushed him. "It's fine Minho. We all did the best we could." Minho nodded.

"So, if we run into trouble. You've got the launcher. What do I get?" Newt looked at Minho's fists. "You get to beat those shuck-faces." Minho laughed, clapping him on the back.

Together they climbed the stairs. Kicking open the doors to a ward. Tommy's ward. They rounded the corner. It was empty. Just like the place they were in, back in the Scorch. Is this a trap? Or is there a crank outbreak? At this point. Either seemed likely.

Minho pushed Newt against the wall. As a door creaked open, two people made their way down the hall. In the shadows hiding against the wall, the two armed guards walked straight past them.

As soon as the guards rounded the corner, Newt and Minho dashed towards the door. Their momentum carried them forwards as they both turned sideways. Their shoulders slamming into the door. Which flew off of its hinges. With a loud crash into two doctors. One way to make an entrance. Newt snickered. Charging up his launcher and aiming it at the staff. Minho barked, "Where is he? What the hell have you done with Tom?"

One of the people spoke. A woman with blonde hair scraped up into a bun. Newt felt his stomach drop. Chancellor Paige was there. She seemed annoyed as she spoke. "Newt. we have done nothing with your precious Thomas. He is perfectly fine. Just ongoing tests with one of our variables. His memories prove to be creating some impressive patterns, may I say. Now please put that weapon down before you hurt yourself. We don't need another subject being injured."

Newt glared at the woman. Wishing he could rip her hair off of her hair, so she knew what it was like to be in pain.

"Minho. Keep an eye on her. I don't trust her more than I can throw her." He tossed Minho the launcher. Which he caught swiftly, pressing the nozzle of the gun against the chancellor's head.

"If you try anything, I'll blow your head off with one of these before you can scream." He spat, Newt glanced sideways at Minho. His buddy wasn't bluffing. Newt could see that.

He walked off, weaving his way through the rows. "Come on Tommy, where are ya..." He mumbled.

Goosebumps pricked his skin, fear hit him like needles. Thomas was now in front of him. White as a sheet. His chest was barely moving. Newt began to panic. He's not breathing...