Chapter Thirty Three

Newt wearily looked at Thomas, he could see the fear and doubt in his eyes. He forced a grin. "Why stay and fight when we go out the window?" He had seen the window with a gaping hole in it.

He shouted to the others. "Run! There should be water at the bottom, go!" He gave Argent a knowing look before rushing over to the man and wrapping his arm around his own shoulder.

He watched Lydia jump first, followed by Liam and Malia- who was pushed out by Scott. Thomas jumped next. Scott looked back at Newt and Argent, giving them a swift nod before leaping out.

Together, Newt and Argent were keeping the door barricaded as long as they could. Loudly Newt counted to five before they took off in a sprint, the door bursting open behind them.

Bullets flew past them, as they took a leap of faith from the tower, Newt supporting Argent so he did not fall and land wrong. How the bloody hell did he survive to get here? Newt thought as they plummeted down to the watery lake below.

The wind scratched at him as he cut through it, landing in the small lake with a splash. His entire body submerged under the water. Newt slowly opened his eyes, the water stung them. His eyes adjusted, he saw his friends thrashing around in the water, their heads all above the surface.

Newt kicked his legs, swimming to the surface. He gasped for air as he broke the surface, pulling Argent up with him.

Everyone was staring at the facility. Newt heard distant shouts and looked up to where they had jumped out. Guards aimed launchers from afar. His eyes widened. Just one could knock them all out in the water.

He felt Argent push away from him, following Thomas to the shore.

On the shoreline, everyone was waiting to leave, all except Newt and Scott. They were running in the direction of a truck.

Newt grabbed a rock from a bunch of debris and slammed it into the window. The glass chipped and cracked a little, Scott called over. "It's reinforced. Gonna need a lot more force than that." Newt nodded and rose the rock up again, ready to throw.

He swung his arm in a circle, using the force to slam the rock into the window. It still wasn't enough to break it. Newt sighed and tossed the rock aside. "Scott, do me a favour and break this shuck-faced window would ya?"

Scott walked around the front of the truck to Newt, he looked at the window for a moment, before snatching up the discarded rock and flinging it into the window, with such force it snapped in half as it collided with the glass. The window broke, giving them access to the cab of the truck.

Scott reached inside the window and flicked open the handle, unlocking the door.

Newt looked back at the others, as Minho was shouting mockingly at the guards above. Who were aiming their launchers from the window. Newt shouted at Minho. "Knock it off you shank! We need to get moving!" Minho snickered and helped Argent over to the truck.

Everyone began to pile into the truck, "Lydia we need a map to know where we're going," She replied. "You were saying?" Lydia gave Newt a smile, already pointing at the tablet to emphasise her point.

On the screen was a map of the surrounding area, nothing but sand for miles. Thomas reached and plucked the tablet from Lydia's hands, drawing a circle somewhere. He turned it back to the rest of the group. "The safe haven's a few miles north. We should be there in the morning."

Newt nodded and slid out of his seat to join the back row, allowing Lydia to sit shotgun beside Scott, who was in the driver's seat.

Newt ended up sitting beside Thomas and Minho, with Liam, Malia and Argent all in the tailgate of the pickup.

Scott started up the truck, with a little help from Lydia, before setting off. Newt's gaze kept wandering over to Thomas, looking away quickly whenever Thomas looked at him.

Newt felt a small blush creep up his cheeks, after the scare on the lab, Newt felt more protective of Thomas than ever. He couldn't risk losing him again.

Newt took a deep breath before asking a question, he breathed the words out. "Did you read the letter?"

Without missing a beat, Thomas nodded. Newt blinked. He quipped, "Here we are, finally running away from those shanks. See Tommy, I told ya I'd follow you anywhere." Thomas gave him a grin.

Minho rolled down his window and stuck his head out, talking to the others in the back.

Newt glanced over at Thomas, who was watching him curiously. Newt felt his heart hammer in his chest.

What is this feeling? Why is he looking at me? Newt's thoughts spiralled. Newt's breath caught as Thomas grabbed the lapel of his jacket, pulling him towards him.

Newt felt numb with shock as Thomas pressed his lips to his. A quick chaste kiss, that ended too soon for Newt's liking.

His lips felt numb as Thomas moved away, shifting in his seat. Both of them were slightly red. Newt couldn't comprehend what had just happened.

Tommy just kissed me...