Chapter Twenty Four

Lydia held an arm around Newt, trying to resssure him and herself Newt imagined. It seemed to be working. He felt better and hopeful.

They arrived at the dumbwaiter entrance after ten minutes of walking, Newt had to put up with at least five of those minutes listening to Lydia going over the pkan with Scott, and telling Liam off for doing something stupid. Such as trying to eat a sandwhich he had found wrapped in a box. Newt recalled what Lydia had said, "Do you know where it's been? No! So don't touch it!"

It brought a smile to his lips, he felt as though they could all be friends. He liked Lydia the best, she seemed to be like him in a way, the "Glue" as he had tattooed on himself, which was true.

Liam walked straight into something, a wall like in the scorch, Newt thought. Liam slammed an angry fist into the object he had walked into. "Damn thing! How do we get past it, the dumbwaiter's right there!" He pointed to the square hatch, a short distance away from them.

Lydia stepped towards the invisible wall. She tapped it. "Not glass. But not unbreakable. Stand back. It's been a while since I've screamed."

Scott moved Newt backwards so he was beside him. "Screamed? What does she mean?" Scott shook his head. "Easier to watch than explain. Give her a moment."

Newt stared in shock as Lydia placed her hands out towards the wall and opened her mouth. A scream unlike any he had ever heard came from Lydia. The part of the wall trembled before splintering apart with a loud thud. Satisfied, Lydia stopped screaming.

"So that's what a Banshee is? Or does? I'm too impressed to be so confused." Newt laughed, Lydia flashed him a smile and kicked the rest of the wall out of the way to make a path.

She stepped through the gap first, gesturing to the others. "Come on, we've got Stiles to save."

They all climbed through. Newt felt goosebumps creep up his arm as he placed his arm around the handle, pushing the door upwards. He stuck his head in. "It's a little small, but I think we can fit if we go one at a time."

He turned back to the others who were grinning, as though they thought the same thing. Scott spoke. "You should go first. We'll follow up. It makes sense since you know where he is."

Newt dry-swallowed. "Okay." He shuffled closer to the entrance. And pressed a button so the dumbwaiter came down.

With a ping it came down a few seconds later. With a quick glance over his shoulder at his newfound friends, he climbed inside.

The space was smaller than he thought, having to hug his knees as the dumbwaiter went upwards. The doors closed leaving him submerged in darkness.

The metal box jolted every so often as it went up. Newt knew which floor he had to stop on, so he quietly counted the numbers of the floors.

The box lurched to one side. Newt's head slammed into the side. The pain shot up his neck like fire. He grimaced. It exploded in his head with a blinding flash. It made him dizzy. The pain was like needles sticking in the left side of his brain.

Newt's vision took a moment to return. The box lurched to the other side with force. He slammed his hand on the other side to prevent another head injury.

He panicked. Being in a dumbwaiter was a new experience, but he was certain it didn't move around like that.

He used his knife and pried open the doors a little. Jamming his fingers in the gap he heaved it open and stuck his head out.

Looking upwards Newt saw the cables pulling it up. One of them was dangling beside the box. The end was threadbare and smoking. "Oh god." The cable had been sabotaged.

Newt was thrown forwards, almost falling out of the metal box and it swung on one cable. It was unbalanced and unstable.

Newt heard creaking from above. The cable was beginning to snap. In moments he would plummet to his death.

Newt spotted an entrance for the dumbwaiter. The distance was within jumping reach. "Heights... Uh." Newt gripped onto the sides of the doors, rocking back and forth so it began to swing.

Newt lurched forwards and pushed off of the box with all his strength. The last cable snapped. The dumbwaiter began to fall.