Chapter Thirty Six

Argent's chest rose and fell slowly. Relief washed over Thomas. He let Newt pull him up, together they walked over to Argent. Sticky and dried blood painted his clothes.
He was white as a sheet. He looked at each person with a calm expression. "Scott- Take care of them.
Lydia, keep using that brain." He chuckled to himself before continuing, "Thomas, find a way to cure the damned virus. And everyone else, take care."

Malia frowned. "Why are you talking like you're going to say goodbye?" Lydia gave her a small smile. "Because he sees the need too."

Argent coughed. He gestured for Thomas to come closer. Thomas did so. Argent murmured. "Pull up my left sleeve. Don't ask why. You'll see."

With trembling fingers he carefully pulled up his jacket sleeve. His heart stopped. Black spider like veins stuck out on his skin. Thomas pulled it down. His jaw clenching in anger. At himself.

"You can't be- You haven't been near anyone infected have you? I can do something-" Argent silenced him. He gave the group a somber look. "I got it a few days ago. A run in with a few cranks in a grocery store. If the bullet doesn't kill me, this will."

Everyone remained silent, their faces plastered with fear and shock. Argent wheezed. "Please- Can one of you end this? I refuse to let the flare kill me."

They all looked at each other. No-one stepped forwards. Argent sighed and looked at Scott. "I don't have long. Could you- take away the pain?" Scott nodded, tears threatening to spill over. He gently placed Argent down on the sand of the desert.

He placed his palms on his arms. He grimaced as black began to travel through his palms and up his veins. Argent's face relaxed a little. His pain was easing.

Beside Thomas, Lydia, Minho, Malia and Liam were all crying. He noticed Newt struggling. He grabbed his hand and squeezed it. Newt looked at him greatfully and squeezed his hand back.

Slowly, Argent's breathing faded as he fell into a deep long sleep. Scott, Newt and Minho creates him a bed in the sand. They laid him down in it. By now, everyone was crying. The waves of sadness washing over each of them. Thomas felt a lump in his throat. This is it, the first of us to go...