Chapter Twenty Six

His vision returned to him like clouds rolling back to reveal the sun. Smoke and flames surrounded him. Thomas blinked as his eyes adjusted to the dry heat that threatened to blind and choke him.

A skyscraper toppled with a crash. A startling realisation hit Thomas. He was back in the last city.

Someone was shouting at Thomas, his ears were ringing. Teresa was clinging onto his shoulder in a fierce grip. Her eyes were wide with panic, ash stained her face. She was trying to pull him up, as they were both collapsed on the floor. "Come on Thomas! We need to go!" Teresa seemed scared. He could see it in her eyes.

It was easier than Thomas thought to stand up. He followed Teresa as she pulled him by the arm along the path of the rooftop. The world around them was in flames.

He glanced over his shoulder. The ground of the rooftop was beginning to crumble.
Thomas collapses on the ground, clutching his side. Teresa knelt down beside him, cradling his head in her hands. He could see she was trying not to cry.

Teresa looked at Thomas with an unreadable expression. Thomas inhaled sharply as she suddenly kissed him.

She pulled away, her head darting upwards to the sky. Thomas was unable to speak, overcome with shock. Teresa began to help Thomas up, half hauling half dragging him across the roof.
He moved faster, dragging his legs one behind the other in an effort to keep up. Teresa didn't notice through the smoke, but Thomas could see the edge of the road for them. Thomas coughed out the words. "Teresa wait!"

She looked at Thomas, then squinted through the smoke as Thomas pointed ahead of them. She sighed and continued walking towards it.

Teresa spoke. "It's fine Tommy. We're almost there." Thomas felt confused. "Almost where?"

He got no response. The shrill buzz of a plane appeared gradually. As did sweeping lights. Thomas coughed again. The pain he felt was getting worse.

His eyes closed for a moment. Teresa shook him awake. She began pulling him towards where the plane was hovering.

A hydraulic hiss sounded as the silver door began to open. Thomas saw the faces of his friends- all except one. Newt.

They kept on moving, another building behind them began to fall. Teresa continued to haul Thomas along.

They reached the end of the rooftop. The plane was hovering close by. But not close enough. Teresa shouted. "Get closer!"

Vince and Minho held out their hands, trying to reach them from the edge of the plane's cargo hold. The plane moved a little closer. Thomas reached out and grabbed Vince's hand.

Another building fell. The plane shifted away a fraction, causing Thomas to slip away from Vince and fall to the floor. Teresa helped him up.  Minho was shouting. "Come on! You can do it!"

Teresa shifted her weight backwards and threw herself forwards a little, throwing Thomas into Vince and Minho's arms.

Thomas winced as he was pushed further inside. Minho and Vince held their hands out to Teresa.

Teresa took deep breaths as she felt the building begin to give way. She looked at Thomas with a sad gaze, as the ground beneath her collapsed. She fell backwards into nothingness. The lab was collapsing on itself.

Thomas screamed. "NO!" Time seemed to slow down as he tried to hold out a hand to Teresa. Who was falling through the air.

She crashed through some of the wreckage. Before being lost to the smoke. The rest of the lab creaked before falling apart. Nothing was left of it.

Tears stung his eyes before spilling over as Thomas tried to comprehend what had just happened. Brenda and Minho dragged him into the cargo hold as the doors began to close.

Limply, Thomas fell onto his back. His eyes closed. People began to tend to him as the plane seemed to fly away. Out of the midst of flame and ashes.