Chapter Twenty Seven

Thomas sat up with a start, his head colliding with something. A groan was heard as someone fell backwards. Black spots cleared from his eyes. With a shock, he realised he had smacked his forehead on Scott's nose.

Scott started at Thomas in surprise, then began laughing as he held his bleeding nose. "I'm sorry, for that. But I guess this is payback..." He walked back over and helped Thomas up.

He spoke, Thomas could tell his friend was sad. He could see it in his eyes. "I don't know how that happened- It's never happened before. I mean, I got bit by a wolf or something yesterday but the bite's gone. First that and now this. I'm scared Stiles."

Thomas sighed and patted him once on the shoulder. "It'll be fine. I mean we'll figure it out. It's not like your a werewolf or anything." At this they both laughed, nervously. Even Thomas wasn't so sure what Scott was.

The likelihood of Scott being a werewolf seemed to make the most sense.

Thomas heard his other name being called. "Stiles!" He turned his head to see Lydia walking towards them.

His heart skipped a beat. Lydia seemed alright. A little shaken, but she still managed to put a smile on her face.

"I-erm. I wanted to thank you for earlier. How can I repay you? How about I do your homework or dinner? Either's fine."

Thomas couldn't stop the grin on his face. He felt elated. He coughed, unsure which answer to choose. His words came out in a jumble. "I'll-Homework's- Good."

Lydia smiled. Somehow she had changed her tune in the past hour. After the incident in the nurse's office.

She nodded towards his backpack, "Do you want me to do it now?" Flustered, Thomas shook his head, "I'll give it to you after school? I've got practice for about another hour."

Lydia sat down on the bleachers, waiting patiently.

The hour passed in silence, leaving Thomas to revel in his thoughts as he warmed up the bench. Twirling his lacrosse stick around. He didn't mind being kept out of the game. After the accident earlier, he flinched whenever a lacrosse stick came near him.

He was shaken, the coach kept yelling things at the team-Mainly Scott. Like a parent scolding a child.

Thomas felt the bench dip a little beside him, as Lydia sat down beside him. Slamming a pile of papers down on her lap with a slapping sound. Tests. Thomas realised.

Lydia flicked through each one, her eyes looking at each page as though she was memorising it. He nudged her with his shoulder. "What are you doing?"

Lydia looked up at Thomas. He saw something flicker behind her eyes. Something dark.

"I'm finding a way to get you out of this mess Thomas. Just hold on." Her tone was neutral. Lydia suddenly blinked, a smile returning to her face. A heartbeat later she added. "I'm going to help you with your grades. They're slipping."

Thomas started at Lydia, "What do you mean 'Thomas?'"