Book 2- chapter 19

Adrian's POV
I drive Isla and her dad to Andrea's house. They came here by train cause they don't have a car. I've been wondering, if Isla's step dad is an alumni of my school and went to a university, why does he own a farm.

He should have been better off and be able to take care of his family. I pull into the driveway and get out of the car. Isla eagerly runs up to the door and presses the bell.

"Coming!" I hear someone yell from inside the house and Mrs Gayns opens the door for us. "Welcome...Max!" She yells and hugs him.

Isla and I walk inside the house. Andrea is at the dinning setting the table so I walk up to her. We both remain silent. What have I done!

"I'm sorry.."

"Are you..."

We say simultaneously and laugh at that. "You go first" I say to her.

"Don't worry. Why are you sorry?" She asks me.

"For stealing a kiss from you. I didn't mean it"

"It's okay. I understand"

"So..we cool?"

"Yeah"

Andrea's POV

Everyone grabs a sit on the table as the dinner starts. "Max, how did you land in such a small town?" My dad asks.

"My dad had a cotton farm and when he died I knew it was his dream for me to take over. I couldn't sell it. I had to give up my career to become a farmer and I don't regret it one bit cause I met Gianna"

"So what of your other kids"

"I have two other kids back at home and the third is on the way. I only bring Isla to the city for a week in the year. It's time for us to bond and for her to see her brother."

"That's so nice of you. What of you Adrian. How did you meet my daughter?"

I nearly choke on my lasagna when I realize a question has been thrown to Adrian. He shifts uncomfortably like he's in an interview.

"Erm..at school. I just transferred last year and she's my moms employee" I say to him.

"I though Jason was your boss's son" My mom asks me.

"Well..um..they are half brothers."

My parents look at me quizzically but I'm glad they dropped the question.

"Max, I think it's very honorable of you for you to take over your fathers business but you can employ farmers and still be in charge." Dad says.

"I prefer to be there"

"I have an offer for you. You can move here with your wife and kids and work at my company. I need an accountant urgently. The last one we had stole from us and now I'm finding it hard to trust any other. I'd be glad if you can help us."

"Dad, please say yes. I'll like to stay in the city. Pretty please" Isla says making the cutest face.

"I will definitely think about it"

The rest of the dinner, Alex and Isla bicker over the best cartoon of last year while the remaining of us just laugh and stay quiet.

"Can I help out" Adrian says already helping me clear the table. "Sure"

Few hours later, they were ready to go.
"Don't forget about what I told you, Max"

"I'll get back to you about it Dave. Thanks for having us" and with that, they left.

THE NEXT WEEKEND

Adrian's POV
It's time for Isla and her step dad to leave and I promised to drive them to the subway. Just before we were about to leave, there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" Isla yells and opens the door. I walk towards her and I'm surprised by who I see. My father. Our father. Andrew Schwann.

"What are you doing here!" I yell at him. "Good day to you too son" he tells me. "Don't ever call me son!" I say furious and I notice Isla is crying beside me. This is the first time she is seeing her father.

"Is this my dad?" She asks me, her eyes already puffy and red. "Whats going on here?" Max comes out confused. My father pushes the door open and comes in.

"Adrian! Is he my dad?!" Isla yells at me. "Yes" I whisper and she runs inside, Max following her.

"What do you mean. She's not my child" my father says. And I shake my head in disgust.

"You've been so uninvolved in your daughter's life that you don't even recognize her" I spit.

"Holy shit...is that Isla?" He asks and I don't answer him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit you. To make sure you were alright. But wait...how did you know about Isla and what is she doing here."

"That's not your business. You may not care about her but I do."

"You can't understand why I did what I did son..."

"I said don't call me son!"

Isla and her step dad come back outside with their bags. "We have to go. But we can take a cab" he says to me.

"No. I'll drop you guys" my father says.

What the heck is he doing?!

"Isla? I'm your dad."

"No you're not. He is" She says pointing to her step dad.

"He's your step dad, Isla. I'm your biological father"

"No you're not!" Isla yells and runs out of the door.

I follow her and try to calm her down. "What's he doing here Adrian?" She asks me.

"I have no idea."

"But it's not fair that he always comes to see you and he never even calls me." She says, sobbing louder.

"He doesn't always come to see me. But I understand what you mean"

"I'm so sorry for being uninvolved in your life..." father says, coming towards us. "..I know you probably hate me but one day you'll understand why I didn't want you to have anything to do with me. But from now on I promise if you need me I'll be there.."

He brings out a card from his pocket and gives it to Isla. To my surprise, she collects it. She really wants to know her biological father.

"...give it to your mom. It has my number and office address. If you need me, reach out to me"

"We'll be going now" Her step dad says, hailing a cab. I'm about to follow them but my father calls me back.

"Adrian...I have something important to tell you"

***************************************
Isla finally met her father😔
Who can guess what's so important he has to tell his son.
Vote and comment
Mavi✨