Chapter 24: New Team

"Hello, Ms. Adams! Are you ready for the new season?" Mr. James asked.

"Totally. I've been helping Daniel keep in shape by having him carry my stuff to class everyday," I said, smirking.

"Oh, Lindsey, you're one of a kind," Mr. James said, lauging.

-

This is it. The new baseball team.

We got three juniors, two sophmores, and a freshman. Not too bad.

On the team trip, they pushed the freshmen in. Daniel and I made out under water.

So far, the new boys aren't that bad.

"Everybody, take two laps around the bases," Mr. James yelled.

I observed carefully to see if the new boys could keep up. The freshman tried so hard, he beat Tommy, who finished second.

But he was out of breath. At least he is willing to put forth the effort.

While the other freshmen and sophmores were practicing, the new varsity team scrimmaged. They asked me to keep score, of course.

It's going to be crazy when all of the new seniors graduate. There's eight of them. I guess next year there will be a lot of new people.

Final score of the scrimmage was one to one. They didn't have time for an extra inning, because practice was over.

I think we'll have a good team this year.

-

"Alright, I'd like to make a toast to Jackson for that amazing catch in the thord inning, Tyrell for getting a home run, and Kyle for getting three consectutive outs on first," Tommy said, raising his can of root beer.

I think it's kind of him to welcome the new boys. Tommy has kind of taken over Mark's roll as unspoken leader. They were both really modest about it, though.

Everyone clinked their cans of soda, and we all cheered. The whole team bonded very quickly.

"Do you think you'll be the 'leader' next year?" I asked Daniel.

"Of course, they all love me," Daniel said. He was one of the five juniors in the baseball program. One of two who were on varsity as a freshman and sophmore.

Mark and Ben kept their promises about Skype. We chat every week. Even on New Year's day. Every Friday.

I listened to Ms. Halls's advice on pursuing a writing career.

I started by writing during my free time and the boys' practices. I had a few fictional stories started.

Ms. Halls said I was doing well.

I didn't let Daniel read my stories. I mean, sure, someday I wouldn't mind people reading my stories and maybe even have them made into movies.

That would be cool. I'd be like J.K. Rowling, or Stephanie Meyer, or Suzanne Collins, or even James Dashner.

James Dashner is amazing.

Life goals. Right?

"Whatcha thinking about?" Daniel said, plopping down on the bench next to me. The boys must be on a water break.

"Becoming a famous author and having my books made in to movies," I replied, honestly.

"You know, if your books are famous, I get to read them, right?"

"Nope. You won't be watching the movies either."

"Fine. I give up. But you have to kiss me," Daniel said.

I smiled, and pecked him on the lips. Our relationship was so amazing.

It's like we know each other so well, everything makes sense.

"So how is the new team?" I asked.

"It's going well. I keep forgetting that you don't even watch us anymore," Daniel replied.

"I watch it when you don't have a shirt on," I admitted.

"I know. I can ask coach if we can take our shirts off..."

"Yes."

Daniel smiled at me, kissed my cheek, and jogged over to coach.

They said a few words, and pretty soon every guy's shirt was sitting on the bench next to me.

I checked the time. 5 o'clock, already. I waved to coach to let him know.

He dismissed the boys, and they got their shirts.

Daniel walked slowly. I could tell he was waiting for all of the boys to leave.

Once everyone was far away from the diamond, he kissed me.

I don't really know how I could've gotten this lucky.

I mean, Daniel almost died.

Daniel forgot who I was.

Daniel was replaced by Tommy, but he still forgave me. I cringed at the thought.

Sometimes I wonder if I don't deserve him. I still haven't figured that out yet.

We held hands as we walked inside. Daniel still didn't put his shirt back on.

"Yo, Walker!" One boy called. "Wanna go to Taco Bell with us?"

"Sure," Daniel responded.

He walked into the locker room with the rest of the boys to change.

I waited patiently, not that I really had to. They were quick, especially becuase they already had their shirts off.

I followed Daniel to his truck, and climbed in. It's become a ritual, of some sort, for me to always ride with him. To school, from practice, everywhere.

The new varsity team waited in line to order their food. Although I really miss the old seniors, the newer guys are pretty fun.

I payed for mine and Daniel's food. It was difficult, since I had to hand the lady my money before he could stick his hand in his pocket for his wallet.

"Want to come over for a while afterwards? You can Skype Ben and Mark with me," I said, once we got our food and sat with the boys.

"That would be fun. How late could I stay?"

"Well, it's Friday, and my parents love you, so maybe until eleven? You should probably ask them just in case."

We sat with the boys, and made new inside jokes.

Tommy found it funny to use last year's inside jokes on some of the newer players.

But hey, you have to love them.

I'm so sorry it took so long my charger broke and I couldn't get a new one for a couple weeks. And I'm sorry this chapter was short. I wanted to get it punlished asap to keep you guys from waiting.