Chapter Five: She Looks Fun

"Let's go guys, don't be late," Coach said, at Monday's practice. I followed everyone out to the field.

They started out by sprinting the bases twice around. Then the boys started stretching.

Unsure of what to do, I sat on the ground, and stretched my legs. I spread them out, and leaned to one side.

I'm so flexible, I can put my foot behind my head. As I did all my stretches, my legs felt really great. I love the feeling I get after I do some really great stretches.

"Adams, over here," Coach said, waving an arm at me.

I jogged over, and joined the varsity circle.

"Our first game is on Thursday. I just need you guys to play well, lots of team work, and try your hardest. When the lowerclassmen know we have a good varsity team, they believe in theirselves to do as good as you guys someday. Practice hard these next few days, but don't wear yourselves out. Today, I want you to jog through the neighborhoods, taking turns with Lindsey on your backs. But be gentle, and don't push too hard. Tuesday and Wednesday, do whatever you need. I trust you guys."

That was a long talk. I got everything, but the part that stood out was what they are doing today. Looks like I'll be riding again today. This time, it's just jogging, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Boy, was I wrong. By the time we had done the neighborhood three times, I hed been on everyone's backs, and it was almost time to leave.

I tried to walk back with them, but the bruises in my arms and legs hurt bad. I know it sounds ridiculous, but these guys take jogging to a whole new level.

Luckily, Mark wasn't too tired, so I climbed back on his back. Riding on their backs while they're walking isn't bad.

Mark set me down on the bench outside, and they brought my bag out. Some of us waited for out rides while most of the seniors and juniors drove home.

My mom pulled right up to the curb, so I was able to climb in carefully.

As soon as I sat down, my phone vibrated.

From Mark: Games on thursday afterschool and friday at 7. Before game on friday, we're all going to dinner. U coming?

I replied quickly with a yes. I'm not sure if I'll ever get a break from these guys until the season's over. Or until we graduate.

On Tuesday, the varsity players all came out a little late. I don't blame them, considering they get to do whatever they want.

First, they ran out and stretched. Then they went to the other field.

"Captains are me and Ben," Mark said.

Then he and Ben started picking guys. Mark had Daniel, Tommy, Sam, James, Dylan, Josh, and Zack. Ben had Nick, John, George, Jack, Ethan, Cameron, and Brice. Then they appointed me as score keeper.

Mark's team scattered around the bases and in the outfield. Then he took the spot as pitcher.

In the first inning, Ben was up 1-0. In the third, it became 2-1, Ben still in the lead. In the ninth inning, Mark's team came back and won 5-2.

By then, practice was over. The boys were happy, and I got to go home.

I sent out a reminder text to everyone about our buffet plans. Then I begun making cookies.

When I got to school, I put the box of cookies in my locker, and proceeded with my day. I hope that if a guy brought something that needs to be cold he put it in the refridgerator in the office.

Oh well. If not, we just won't eat it.

As if it took no time, it was already time for practice. I left my cookies with my bags.

Practice was quick, also. When coach dismissed the boys, we all went inside and assembled our buffet on a table in the cafeteria.

"Mmm, these are the best cookies ever, Lindsey!" I heard from some people.

I grabbed my food and sat down. Daniel sat on the other side of me with three cookies on his plate.

"You know, those are for everybody," I said, gesturing to his plate.

"Yeah, well, I love them, so who cares. You should make them again. Maybe like two dozens, just for me? Please?" He asked.

"Maybe."

Daniel smiled, and I smiled back. We all ate the food, and talked like usual. All of the food was gone in the first thirty minutes, so we finished our conversations, then left.

My mom picked me up, and I went home. Simple day.

"Today, we'll be doing uniforms," Mr. James said.

Varsity went first, so I stood with them as they got their numbers. Apparently the numbers were based on positions.

"You guys have two different uniforms, navy and white, but you already know that. Just like football, you can let your girlfriends wear the other shirt on our Friday games. It would be nice if Lindsey could wear a shirt every game, doesn't matter who's."

Yay! I never got to wear a varsity football player's jersey. I've always wanted to wear someone's jersey.

After everyone had their uniforms, JV came over and we walked inside. The guys put them in the locker room.

"You can wear my shirt on Friday," Tommy said, winking at me.

"Sure," I replied, laughing. It's meant to be a joke.

Since it's a home game, the boys are wearing their white uniforms. Tommy gave me his navy shirt. His number is 22.

For the Thursday game, the boys just dressed up. We were hosting a team that wasn't from our conference as a pre-season game.

I wore a skirt to school, since I still had to dress up. The boys don't have many dress up days, just out of conference games. Otherwise, they wear their jerseys, white if home, navy if away.

After the bell rang, we had an hour to kill before they had to start warming up. Some of the varsity guys went out and got donuts for everyone. I snatched a glazed donut before they were gone.

"So freshmen play at the far field, JV plays on the closer field at 5, then we play at 6:30. Same as volleyball," Mark explained.

We get to shag balls for the other teams, then watch. The boys weren't even dressed yet. They do that in the last two innings.

I helped the boys shag for freshmen today. It was pretty easy, and quick. Then we went over to watch JV.

The bleachers were already filled with parents, so we just stood on the side.

"Yo, Tills, Hanson, how's it going?" A guy from the other team walked over. Some of his friends followed.

I was in between Mark and Ben. Mark's last name is Tills, and Ben's is Hanson.

"What do you want, Davidson?" Ben clearly didn't like this guy.

"Just wanted you to introduced your new manager to us. She looks fun."

I looked over myself. I had a blue skater skirt on and a white v-neck with Ben's varsity jacket over my shoulders.

"You leave her alone. Lindsey doesn't need some man-whores all over her. Don't you have enough bimbos in your school to go around?"

Woah. Ben is pissed. Apparently it lamused the other guys.

"Eh, screw it. Let's get dressed, guys. Which gym locker is yours?" Davidson asked.

The away teams use our locker rooms. This guy need to be taught a lesson. I walked over, smiled sweetly at him, then slapped him across the face.

The boys "ou"ed, even Davidson's team. I looked over and winked in their direction. Fun, indeed.

*****Will Poulter as Tommy Johnson🔝